Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM

I have to re-solder mine about once a year. Haven't had to for a while, since I added a folded up bit of paper over the battery, theorizing that would limit shocks.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:00 PM

FOB is repaired, cost me $18.00 at Midwest keyless, he clean the circutboard, solder the battery hold, and put it in a new case, everything is working find, now I need to send my oter FOB to him.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the interest

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Dear HipHotRod,

I have read your post about your remotes and your key cylinder in your Chevrolet HHR. What is the year of your HHR? How many times have you had the vehicle into the dealership? How long have you been having to deal with this situation?

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your interest in my problem. The car is a 2008 2LT - 27000 miles. It's been into the dealership 4 times. 1st was for the remotes and a noisey, rattling interior. Remotes replaced, a trim panel ordered. The 3 other times have been for consistent rattles and a driveability issue - the car surges and the tachometer fluctuates to match the surge at 30 and 40 mph. Slightly at first and over 6-8 months gotten progressively worse. Car also will try to creep forward when sitting stopped at a traffic light. I was able to replicate the problem consistently on a certain road and gave the precise instructions to the service writer ( i cannot be there to drive with the tech ) They say they cant replicate the problem. No codes thrown, nothing can be done. SInce the dealer cant or wont fix the noises, Ive taken matters into my own hands and have literally taken the car apart from the front seats backward including the complete rear suspension. With foam tape, nuts and bolts to replace plastic clips and loctite on all bolts when reassembled - the car is a lot quieter. I cant do anything about the trans/driveability issue - I have to wait until the car breaks/fails before something can be done. The remotes should be covered under the warranty(s) I have I would think.

One remote broke about 3 months after it was replaced. The second broke about 2 weeks ago. I havent had a chance to take it back in. This is Harbor Chevrolet in Long Beach, Ca.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Dear HipHotRod,

Thank you for the additional information about your situation. If you don't mind, I would like to look into this further. However, in order for me to proceed I will need additional information which I will send you a private message about this.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM

My remote has the solder solder problem. I re-soldered it twice bought a new one from dealership it lasted less than a week same problem. The new one just will not work. One leg comes off and either it will lock or unlock not both, until it is fixed.

I have re-soldered my old one again and placed padding in the shell to press against the battery and clip, so far it has worked for about 6 months.

Last edited by Thylacine; 06-27-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 AM

You left them in your jean pocket of the pants you were washing... didn't you?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM

I have one fob that doesn't work anymore. Well, intermittently it will work, and it's not the battery. When the battery died, I replaced it. That's when the problem started. Put a different battery in thinking it was bad, nothing. Checked the solder, it was fine. The tabs aren't bent that hold the battery, and everything looks ok?! I have no idea what else could be. I suppose I'll only have 1 fob now for my car since my only other choice would be to buy a new one (or eBay) and have it reprogrammed. Or can you reprogram it yourself?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM

The contacts can get worn out also..... There's a how-to on a fix for this around here somewhere.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
The contacts can get worn out also..... There's a how-to on a fix for this around here somewhere.
Huh? Contacts to the battery? What?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

The button contacts

Quick Reply: Remotes