Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Removing lift gate handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Removing lift gate handle

I was wondering if anybody knew how this comes off, I tried once and then put things in park. There is a small amount of surface rust in one corner that needs to be dealt with ,but to fix it properly the chrome piece (cover ) needs to be removed
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Search these forums for "beauty bar", lots of results will come up. I think you have to remove the interior panel from the liftgate to get the bar off.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM

There are two push pins at the bottom of the liftgate panel. Pull those out & remove the handle cup. If I remember correctly it just pulls out.

You will have to remove the interior trim at the top I believe in order to pull the liftgate panel off. BE CAREFUL...the top trim cover is a PITA. All my effort to keep from breaking any of the clips and I still broke one. They are extremely strong holding...or mine were. I would highly recommend doing it in warm weather so that plastic trim panel is a little more forgiving...cold weather it may break easier.

After that, pull the large liftgate panel of. It is much easier, and is held in with the round interior push pins. Interior panel tools help greatly, but I didn't have any that would assist with the top trim panel.

Once the panel is off there are 4 10mm nuts in the gate holding on the beauty bar. Remove these, disconnect the lights and connection to the liftgate pad. You can remove the liftgate pad from the outside first IIRC, pretty sure they were torx screws, but might have just been hex head screws...can't remember exactly. Reverse to install.

Hope that helps.