Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

replaced wheel bearing...DIDNT HELP THE HUMMMM!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Angry replaced wheel bearing...DIDNT HELP THE HUMMMM!

been reading thru the various posts Ive searched on the forum...

the hum began a couple weeks ago..when I swerve hard left..HUM..swerve hard right...quiet...SO I determined it was the passenger side bearing..

replaced with Timken bearing...

NOTHING CHANGED!...

i looked at the flex hose behind motor(read that in a response here)..no tears/rips....

the drivers side wheel rotates smootly..no play..for that matter the passenger did too..even the old bearing i pulled had ZERO "grind"..so I wasted $125 on the part....

should I be looking at CV joint next??....

stats- 2010 HHR LS
distinct HUMMMM from frt end when rolling above 25mph..louder @ speed..
no clank clunk or wobble..no grinding..just HUMMM..

Im gonna continue searching the forum... but plz, any thoughts would be appreciated..

thx
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 PM

Just a thought ... Have you Googled HHR TSB (technical service bulletins) to see if that has any clues.

Also try removing your roof radio antenna to see if it is hum/whistling.

Mine was and it drove me nuts trying to locate it.

Noise started about 20mph.

This is a simple and quick thing to check as the antenna just unscrews.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Deceased

Check the tire on that corner for odd wear patterns, being that you have a 2010 you are still probably running the Firestone Affinity tires that come as stock on the LS. These tires are pretty marginal even when new, so you might have one that's making noise. One thing to try is moving that tire to the rear and seeing if the noise follows it.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 40whacks

stats- 2010 HHR LS
distinct HUMMMM from frt end when rolling above 25mph..louder @ speed..
no clank clunk or wobble..no grinding..just HUMMM..

thx
You are still under warranty, no? Let the dealer sort it out. I know wheel bearings aren't covered anymore but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 AM

excellent responses..Im gonna look into each...

ya know, I cant stand dealerships..but that may end up where I go with it if i dont see an immediate solution...lol

thanks guys...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Check the tire on that corner for odd wear patterns, being that you have a 2010 you are still probably running the Firestone Affinity tires that come as stock on the LS. These tires are pretty marginal even when new, so you might have one that's making noise. One thing to try is moving that tire to the rear and seeing if the noise follows it.
Good Point ... I have had that problem with cupping and noise in the past.

The way it came on I could have sworn it was a wheel bearing failing.

I would run my fingers across the tread face to check for feathering or cupping. Not just visual.

Keep in mind that if you move the left front to the right front it will be turning the opposite direction.... rolling the other way.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Sounds like a camber issue. Makes noise when not turning a certain direction, goes away when turning.

I hate to be the generic response guy "go to dealership" but really though. They add a little to what you pay for the car for such warranty repairs into the price-you just don't see it.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

This is a no brainer-the car's under warranty.Take it to the dealer-no cost to you.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM

I would vote CV joints, should have done them at the same time as bearings, same labor. But, 2010? More likely tires/alignment, I have also experienced this kind of thing from brake pads wearing unevenly. Are your rear windows open with the front windows closed? BTW end play and run out are the tests for bearings, not round
Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I would vote CV joints, should have done them at the same time as bearings, same labor. But, 2010? More likely tires/alignment, I have also experienced this kind of thing from brake pads wearing unevenly. Are your rear windows open with the front windows closed? BTW end play and run out are the tests for bearings, not round
Please explain the brakepad statement.

Quick Reply: replaced wheel bearing...DIDNT HELP THE HUMMMM!