Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ring singalong! The chimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 AM

key in ignition chimes constantly

Just an FYI. I have a 2011 HHR and the chimes for the key in the ignition sound off even when the key is removed with the drivers door open. The chimes turn off of course if you close the door. The problem is in the ignition cylinder casing assembly which is a bit difficult to replace. You have to pull the steering wheel and all the parts attached to the casing assembly. Then remove the assembly itself. It has a contact in it that grounds when the key is inserted and goes to the BCM on a white wire from the ignition switch. If this is happening to you... the part costs $88.00. I didn't want to disassemble the column so I clipped the white wire from the ignition switch and no more key in ignition chimes. Because of that I don't have the key in warning when the door is open so I have to remember to take my keys like it was in the old days. :)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by hhr11
Just an FYI. I have a 2011 HHR and the chimes for the key in the ignition sound off even when the key is removed with the drivers door open. The chimes turn off of course if you close the door. The problem is in the ignition cylinder casing assembly which is a bit difficult to replace. You have to pull the steering wheel and all the parts attached to the casing assembly. Then remove the assembly itself. It has a contact in it that grounds when the key is inserted and goes to the BCM on a white wire from the ignition switch. If this is happening to you... the part costs $88.00. I didn't want to disassemble the column so I clipped the white wire from the ignition switch and no more key in ignition chimes. Because of that I don't have the key in warning when the door is open so I have to remember to take my keys like it was in the old days. :)
With a 2011 if your mileage is under 36,000 or less then 3yrs. from in service date hasn't past, you should still be under the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
OR...
Have you checked with a Dealer to see if the Ignition switch extended warranty replacement program would possibly include this issue.
I would contact the dealer for and answer before doing anything else.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 07-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Administrator

2011 plus three years would be 2014, factor in later sales date into 2012 you would have to have an in service date of July , all that aside I'd look into the ignition extended warranty and goodwill from the dealership.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:41 PM

I have a 06 chevy hhr I see this a common error in these cars have anybody figured out what the cause is yet I see alot of post but no follow up to solving the issue yet can some one help me please

Yes, I took it in for recall on ignition switch back in 2016

Last edited by Oldblue; 10-10-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 PM

06 chevy hhr chime when door open but key is out of ignition

Originally Posted by bailbud
will have to give the dealer a call also firemangeorge I didn't have the car with me
Did you ever find out what the problem was I'm having same exact problems and its draining my battery
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by hhr11
If that was the recall part why didnt they fix it I'm having the same issue but wondering why dealership wont just put a new one in if it clear we are not the only 2 having this problem I have read on here there are several other experiencing this same exact issue and this was the part they replace on the recall am I correct
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

It's not likely you will get an answer as he has not been here since 2017.

Ps: using sentences instead of a big paragraph without any punctuation would really make your post much easy to read
Old 10-10-2019, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
It's not likely you will get an answer as he has not been here since 2017.

Ps: using sentences instead of a big paragraph without any punctuation would really make your post much easy to read
Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Three pretty much identical posts in the same thread, one after another, this time on a 2 year old thread? And Bailbud has not been here for over a year.

You really need to open a NEW thread with a single thread explaining what the issue is - but not posting the same thing over and over.

Hopefully one of the moderators will be able to consolidate all the 4 postings into a new thread for you.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Three pretty much identical posts in the same thread, one after another, this time on a 2 year old thread? And Bailbud has not been here for over a year.

You really need to open a NEW thread with a single thread explaining what the issue is - but not posting the same thing over and over.

Hopefully one of the moderators will be able to consolidate all the 4 postings into a new thread for you.
Thanks I'm new and just learning the site as I just subscribe last nite but thanks I'll try to find out how to make my own thread

Quick Reply: Ring singalong! The chimes