Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ring singalong! The chimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Thread created, posts moved.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Go to the appropriate forum main section.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
There is a blue box, left side, that says NEW THREAD.
Click on the box then proceed with your post.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 AM

And put the problem in the message not the title.

I'm not sure what you are asking. I think you are saying that the chimes stay on all the time after you park the car?

My guess is that the ignition switch needs replacing or 1 or more of the door ajar sensors is stuck. Has the recall been done?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Administrator

check the multi switch on the right side of the steering column, the lights should be set to auto.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM

I would completely ignore the advice to cut the white wire! It is power for the key. I don't know what car he is describing you do not have to do all of that to replace the ignition cylinder and There is no wire on the cylinder.

Get somebody with a expensive code scan tool to run a scan look for U1162 liftgate switch, U1164 driver door sensor, U1165 Passenger door sensor.

I am thinking the driver door ajar sensor (the light switch) may be defective. I have spent an hour looking for a diagram of the warning system. I think it is the Theft Deterrent Module that sends a key in signal via the serial data LAN. But, closing the driver door is supposed to turn it off.

Is it possible that the car had an after market remote start installed? Some of those require that a chip from a working key be mounted close to the TDM (ignition).

Just guessing, I can't find any data.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I would completely ignore the advice to cut the white wire! It is power for the key. I don't know what car he is describing you do not have to do all of that to replace the ignition cylinder and There is no wire on the cylinder.

Get somebody with a expensive code scan tool to run a scan look for U1162 liftgate switch, U1164 driver door sensor, U1165 Passenger door sensor.

I am thinking the driver door ajar sensor (the light switch) may be defective. I have spent an hour looking for a diagram of the warning system. I think it is the Theft Deterrent Module that sends a key in signal via the serial data LAN. But, closing the driver door is supposed to turn it off.

Is it possible that the car had an after market remote start installed? Some of those require that a chip from a working key be mounted close to the TDM (ignition).

Just guessing, I can't find any data.
No mines came with the factory remote starter but the key remotes haven't worked in yrs thanks for your response I did take in for the recall 4 yrs ago
Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM

BTW: not at all "common" you are the third I've heard of.
There were actually 2 recalls. One for the cylinder and one for the switch. One came about a few months after the first.
Check the door light button.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
And put the problem in the message not the title.

I'm not sure what you are asking. I think you are saying that the chimes stay on all the time after you park the car?

My guess is that the ignition switch needs replacing or 1 or more of the door ajar sensors is stuck. Has the recall been done?
Yes the recall was done bout 4 yrs ago I called the dealership and they told me it's been 4 yrs that they doubt it's the ignition switch and that if I brought it in and it's not then they will charge me 150.00
Yes I'm saying that when I take the key out of ignition and open driver door it chimes like key is still in the ignition if I put key back in ignition and turn it back and forth a few time sometimes it will correct and u can it the the click in the switch and when I open the door the chime is gone
Old 10-10-2019, 01:59 PM

I gave you a link to check the recall status, no need to call anybody.

It is nt as difficult to replace as that guy indicated. You can get to the switch and the TDM by removing the plastic. After that is off you just need to know the trick to the cylinder.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 PM

You might try spraying some lubricant like WD40 into the keyway.

Quick Reply: Ring singalong! The chimes