Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rough shifting then no auto lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Rough shifting then no auto lock

My 2006 had a rough shifting yesterday morning. Once I stopped and restarted the shifting problem stopped but the auto lock when shifting out of park has stopped. It is still Showing that it is programmed but not working and there is a loud clicking when applying the brake. Thanks to anyone having an idea of the problem or solution?

Update: I disconnected the battery for about 10 min and all seems to be corrected. The doors lock when shifting from P and the lower gears seem to work correctly. Not sure what it did but glad.

Last edited by dmcg; 01-24-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

"there is a loud clicking when applying the brake. "

When shifting from park & brake applied, there are shift solenoids that are activated to allow it outta park...That is the clicking.

Sounds like you may have additional issues tho..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dmcg
My 2006 had a rough shifting yesterday morning. Once I stopped and restarted the shifting problem stopped but the auto lock when shifting out of park has stopped. It is still Showing that it is programmed but not working and there is a loud clicking when applying the brake. Thanks to anyone having an idea of the problem or solution?
Have a look in here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=13493&page=2

I'm not sure myself whether the fix is a BCM reprogram or a shifter replacement, but it looks (to me) like the BCM doesn't know that the shifter is no longer in the "P" position and therefore it activates the shift interlock relay whenever the brakes are applied. Let me ask you this: try your "I" and "L" gears and see if they make any difference. All of these odd behaviors seem to be linked to the same problem somehow: rough shifting, no more auto-lock, relay clicking when brakes are applied and (in my case) no more I and L gears (behaves like "D").

Yves