Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Sand scratching windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Sand scratching windows

The last few years, I've noticed some pretty visible scratches occurring on my driver and passenger windows, usually in the winter months. Obviously it is because sand is stuck on the windows, then lodges between the felt and glass, followed by that awful scraping sound when I put the window down.

First, any logical way to buff the scratches out, second, aside from cleaning the windows everyday, any logical way to prevent this from happening again.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Hoping to get some good answers as I have had that same problem on every HHR I have owned.

Never considered it may just be gritty debris getting down in the felt but that makes sense to me.

How about using a thin piece of metal that is stiff enough to slide it between the window and the felt and push the contaminants down out of the way into the cavity below?
Maybe even run some water on the tool to help wash it down or out.

I have a thin metal Optical ruler that might just do the job.

On my first HHR I took it into Chevrolet under warranty as I thought it was something internal in the window mechanism behind the door.

They fixed it but never said anything as to what it was. No Charge.

SF
Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

i heard others using alcohol wipes or thin wet towel and wipe along the rubber/felt along the window
Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 PM
Deceased

This'll sound dumb, but it works.

Bon-Ami cleansing powder mixed into a paste and applied with balled up newspapers will polish glass like a champ. But you'll need to wait for warm weather, as flushing the Bon-Ami off when you're done should be done with plenty of clean water at a moderate pressure.

Take the nozxle off a garden hose and flood the glass when you're done, and also make sure the cleanser is rinsed off the paint right quick.

As far as contaminants between the felt and the glass, frequent washing is the best way to prevent scratches. But I know about Boston winters, so you can go two or three months between washes. And there's not much you can do about that.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Up here, I rinse the crud off the HHR at the local coin car wash once a week, seems to work.
I've had the HHR over 6 years now and no major scratches to the windows.