Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Serpentine Belt Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Serpentine Belt Slipping

Hey guys, here's my issue. I have a Supercharged HHR and I just started having a belt slipping problem. I know it's slipping on the SC pulley because my boost has been inconsistent lately ranging anywhere from 7-9 psi. I also noticed a hot rubber smell. I am running a belt that is 70.5 inches and I can't go shorter because all manufacturers go from 70.5 to about 66.5 for a 5 rib. A friend suggested a spray that will help the belt grip better/stop squeaking. I have never had to use that. Does that work? Also has anyone had issues with the belt tensioner getting weak? It feels pretty firm when I pull on it, but I don't know what a new one feels like. I spaced out the AC a little bit to pick up some slack so now the belt tensioner makes the belt tight about half way through its motion, but its still slipping.

I have a new belt on order for tomorrow. So I will start there. I read that the Goodyear Gatorback belts are great, so I ordered one.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Hey guys, here's my issue. I have a Supercharged HHR and I just started having a belt slipping problem. I know it's slipping on the SC pulley because my boost has been inconsistent lately ranging anywhere from 7-9 psi. I also noticed a hot rubber smell. I am running a belt that is 70.5 inches and I can't go shorter because all manufacturers go from 70.5 to about 66.5 for a 5 rib. A friend suggested a spray that will help the belt grip better/stop squeaking. I have never had to use that. Does that work? Also has anyone had issues with the belt tensioner getting weak? It feels pretty firm when I pull on it, but I don't know what a new one feels like. I spaced out the AC a little bit to pick up some slack so now the belt tensioner makes the belt tight about half way through its motion, but its still slipping.

I have a new belt on order for tomorrow. So I will start there. I read that the Goodyear Gatorback belts are great, so I ordered one.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Why can't you go shorter? Are you saying the belt sizes jump from 70.5 to 66.5 without any sizes between?

Maybe look for a heavier tensioner....maybe from a "blown" Cobalt?

Oh, and I have used the belt spray for slipping belts, although many years ago....even before serpentine. Worked well then. Can't say how it would work now.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Uh, the tensioner is the adjustment, not moving the AC or anything else around. Why not just get an OEM belt? Why order by length instead of application?

My GUESS is that you may be looking at a tensioner bearing or adjustment, or any one of several bearings in the belt train.

I, also am
STUPID
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Yeah it seems the jump for 5 rib is 4". I want to pulley down so i spaced the ac, but i am losing grip on the 3.1" so i can't pulley down to my 2.9 because i can't grip the 3.1. Just one of those interesting issues on a custom setup. I'll let you know what happens when i get the new belt tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Do they make any different sized adjuster wheels/pulleys that could be adapted? When getting this custom you have to start thinking outside the box.... What did they use on Cobalts that went with the smaller pulley?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM

What size is the GM stage 2 belt?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Gm staged belts are 6 ribs on both sides so they won't work. This set up uses the stock 5 rib so i don't need to change accessories. I just thought since there is plenty of room, spacing the ac would be fine picking up the slack for the 2.9. I think the guys pulleying down on ss balts had options for the 6 rib wih either belt sizes or tensioners designed for that app.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM

A new belt may do it, as an old belt will be several inches longer and still working. Problem is the new one is going to get old and do the same.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Maybe the tensioner pivot is siezing up or possibly u might have a bearing tightening up in the sc. Is there an oil resevoir on the sc for the internal drive gears?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Can u pull the intake off the sc to check for scoring on the rotor tips?

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Slipping