Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Serpentine Belt Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 PM

Yeah the sc is serviceable, but its still really smooth and free. I think its the darn belt. Ill clean all the pulleys before the new belt tomorrow and see what i come up with.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 AM

it is possible to change the pulley size on the tensioner..but you will have to pull them off the shelf to get the right combo bolt size a diameter....just a thought as the pulleys are replaceable
Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

You got TOO much power, I'll step up & take some off ya, if that'll help. That's how I roll...

I have used the Belt spray maybe 20 yrs ago, it did make the V-belts sticky & not slip fwiw.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
it is possible to change the pulley size on the tensioner..but you will have to pull them off the shelf to get the right combo bolt size a diameter....just a thought as the pulleys are replaceable
That's what I was thinking, I may not have worded it as well......
Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
I will look that too if I can't get it to grab with the belt. The bigger pulley will give me a touch more wrap on the SC as well so that would help.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM

hhrfreek,

The belt needed would depend on the tensioner setup you are running. What is that?

BTW, the GM 6 rib belts can easily be trimmed to 5. I've done a number of them. I put a sharp carton knife blade in a vise and slowly and carefully pull the belt across the blade. Works like a charm!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM

General pic of how the routing is done. My windows paint skills are great as you can see, but you get the idea

As I looked closer I can't use a larger pulley on the tensioner because of how close it is to the idler pulley next to it. And you can see how the easiest way to pick up belt slack for the 2.9" SC pulley is easily done by spacing the AC out. Which I did already. So now I just need to figure out a way to either get more wrap on the SC pulley or get better grip on it. Man, I hope the belt solves this issue. I was thinking maybe the belt is "glazed" a bit and is not grabbing like it did before or somehow I got something on it and didn't notice....I have been under that hood a lot
Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 AM

I did a custom setup, but the routing is the same as the Cobalt SC, but with some different items.

That pic (hey, won't go to a fine arts museum, but good!) is different than either!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM

Hey guys got it all sorted out. I ended up spacing the AC out a little more for a total of about 3/4 inch to pick up the slack for the smaller 2.9" pulley. New belt and presto, no more slip. I logged it in hp tuners before the adjustment/new belt and my boost was falling from about 9.5 to ~6psi in the high rpms on the 2.9. Now I am showing a slight build in boost from 10-11psi up top, which is consistent with the 8.5 to 9.5psi on the 3.1" pulley. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
I did a custom setup, but the routing is the same as the Cobalt SC, but with some different items.

That pic (hey, won't go to a fine arts museum, but good!) is different than either!
Oh. BTW I can't take credit for the routing. This was routing per the ZZP kit I started with. It seems to be a good setup. Just hard to pulley down with 5 ribs b/c of slippage on the SC.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Slipping