Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Servicing car on Monday - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Servicing car on Monday - Questions

Well, this is the first time I've been on in awhile. Monday my car is going in again for service issues. Has anyone else had any of these problems so I know what I'm talking about when I go in.

1. Rattling in the passenger door panel, last time they said they couldn't find a problem...it is worst. It sounds like metal, and of course it is worst when the radio is on.
2. Both car remotes do not work 95% of the time, they found nothing wrong with either one of them. It is to the point I'm lucky if they work at all and I'm tired of my alarms going off all the time when I have to manual get in the car.
3. Smell of anti-freeze in the car when driving, it isn't low checked it last night.
4. Breaks squeal, reading some comments on here I've noticed some people saying it isn't normal. Is it or isn't it? Mine started after they did rotor work, before that they was perfect. Last time I brought it in the service guy said they are suppose to do that.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM

wow everyone use to be so talkative on this site and offer suggestions and help what happened when I was gone for a few months. Anyway,

1. Rattling they couldn't find anything, go figure. Brought it back two days later and pointed it out to the head guy and low and behold he heard it.
2. Remotes, they said the batteries dies but now one works and one doesn't hmmmm.
3. Anti-Freeze, the first day they found nothing. The 2nd day they started it up and couldn't believe the smell. They couldn't find anything wrong with it so now I have dye running thru it to find the issue.
4. Never mentioned breaks because nobody told me if this was true what they said and I wasn't going to bring it up again.
5. Car wobbles at 25-35 they said they rotated all 4's but now it is worst.

Should have gotten a Vibe.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Founding Member

Sorry, first I have seen of this post. Maybe it' been in the twilight zone.

Originally Posted by vschriver
wow everyone use to be so talkative on this site and offer suggestions and help what happened when I was gone for a few months. Anyway,

1. Rattling they couldn't find anything, go figure. Brought it back two days later and pointed it out to the head guy and low and behold he heard it.
What did they fix?
2. Remotes, they said the batteries dies but now one works and one doesn't hmmmm.Programming or a new remote is needed
3. Anti-Freeze, the first day they found nothing. The 2nd day they started it up and couldn't believe the smell. They couldn't find anything wrong with it so now I have dye running thru it to find the issue. Update us when they find what it is. Did they pressure test it?
4. Never mentioned breaks because nobody told me if this was true what they said and I wasn't going to bring it up again. Brake squeal is considered normal unless it is excessive.
5. Car wobbles at 25-35 they said they rotated all 4's but now it is worst.I'm not sure what you are describing here???

Should have gotten a Vibe. Buying a vibe doesn't guarantee your satisfaction.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 11-24-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by vschriver
4. Never mentioned breaks because nobody told me if this was true what they said and I wasn't going to bring it up again.
5. Car wobbles at 25-35 they said they rotated all 4's but now it is worst.

Should have gotten a Vibe.
Makes not differance if some say it's normal and others don't. If you think they are noisey, tell them. If they tell you noisey brakes are "normal", then get a second opinion. Noise is usually a sign of something wrong.

If it's wobbles, then definately take it back.

SOund like you have a not so friendly dealership.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Is the "wobble" you speak of coming directly from the tires/wheels (ie: that's what it feels like to you)? If so, rotating isn't going to do anything for you. It could be as simple as a tire (or more) out of balance. Ask for all wheels/tires to be balanced. It happens quite frequently: a weight comes loose and falls off or - in the case of the alloy and custom wheels - an adhesive weight looses it's grip and let's go. When this happens, it tends to start feeling odd fairly quickly (meaning, it doesn't usually start feeling a little bad and get progressively worse - it starts feeling bad almost right away).

All wheels will go out of balance with everyday wear-and-tear. This is when you will feel the difference develop slowly over time as the condition worsens with use.

Check your wheels for the size of the weights attached. Generally, if a weight of 2 oz or more is attached, the tire should have been loosened from the wheel, rotated a quarter turn, and remounted in order to reduce the amount of weight needed to balance. Some service departments will do a "match mount" for a higher fee (higher than a normal balance). This requires a specific type of wheel balancer and about 4x the amount of time to perform. Basically, the position of the valve stem is marked on the tire sidewall, then the tire/wheel is spun and measured. The tire is turned 1/4 turn on the wheel, remounted and is spun again and measured. Depending on balnancer brand and software level, this will be done for 3 or four turns. Then it will assist the tech to position the tire on the wheel so that the least amount of balancing weight is required. It matches the tire to the wheel better than just a random mount. This can really make a difference in ride on some vehicles. Some people believe this also extends the life of the tire and feel the additional cost is worth it in the long run.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM

I'm just use to all kinds of responses
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Sorry, first I have seen of this post. Maybe it' been in the twilight zone.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Ya someone on here made the comment about coming thru town and stopping at "they think" this dealership and they were NOT very smart..the dealership that is..they couldn't fix a radio issue.

Originally Posted by solman98
Makes not differance if some say it's normal and others don't. If you think they are noisey, tell them. If they tell you noisey brakes are "normal", then get a second opinion. Noise is usually a sign of something wrong.

If it's wobbles, then definately take it back.

SOund like you have a not so friendly dealership.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 PM

It feels like it is coming from the front tires. This is the 4th time in 6months I've had them service it for this issue.
Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Is the "wobble" you speak of coming directly from the tires/wheels (ie: that's what it feels like to you)? If so, rotating isn't going to do anything for you. It could be as simple as a tire (or more) out of balance. Ask for all wheels/tires to be balanced. It happens quite frequently: a weight comes loose and falls off or - in the case of the alloy and custom wheels - an adhesive weight looses it's grip and let's go. When this happens, it tends to start feeling odd fairly quickly (meaning, it doesn't usually start feeling a little bad and get progressively worse - it starts feeling bad almost right away).

All wheels will go out of balance with everyday wear-and-tear. This is when you will feel the difference develop slowly over time as the condition worsens with use.

Check your wheels for the size of the weights attached. Generally, if a weight of 2 oz or more is attached, the tire should have been loosened from the wheel, rotated a quarter turn, and remounted in order to reduce the amount of weight needed to balance. Some service departments will do a "match mount" for a higher fee (higher than a normal balance). This requires a specific type of wheel balancer and about 4x the amount of time to perform. Basically, the position of the valve stem is marked on the tire sidewall, then the tire/wheel is spun and measured. The tire is turned 1/4 turn on the wheel, remounted and is spun again and measured. Depending on balnancer brand and software level, this will be done for 3 or four turns. Then it will assist the tech to position the tire on the wheel so that the least amount of balancing weight is required. It matches the tire to the wheel better than just a random mount. This can really make a difference in ride on some vehicles. Some people believe this also extends the life of the tire and feel the additional cost is worth it in the long run.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Your vibration issue might just be bad tires. Maybe a busted belt or something else is causing it? If you have a decent amount of miles on the tires, maybe just spring for new ones and see if that solves it. The OEM tires stink anyway.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:08 AM

have them replace the remotes under warranty, they could be defective.

sounds like what pitbull said, one of the radial belts has seperated. you can have them try to balance them to see if it is out of balance, but it sounds like a bad tire

Quick Reply: Servicing car on Monday - Questions