Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Servicing car on Monday - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM

I have less than 6,000 on the car after a year. I don't drive much back/forth to work and out once in awhile.
Originally Posted by pitbull76
Your vibration issue might just be bad tires. Maybe a busted belt or something else is causing it? If you have a decent amount of miles on the tires, maybe just spring for new ones and see if that solves it. The OEM tires stink anyway.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Sorry I didn't see the bold questions you had. For the rattle they didn't fix anything. They said they took the door apart and found nothing. It was louder so I brought it back two days later and pointed the noise out and then he heard it. The anti-freeze not sure on what they did. I know the 1st day they had it they said they found nothing. When they started it the 2nd day to bring it to the body shop they instantly could smell it. They looked all day so they said and found nothing wrong but can smell it. So they put a dye in it and I'm suppose to go back next week so they can look at it again. The wobble, when I go between 25 and 30 I feel like I'm swaying back and forth like the tires are wobbling or something.
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Sorry, first I have seen of this post. Maybe it' been in the twilight zone.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM

So I got the car back they put two new tires on and guess what the damn car still wobbles at 20-30 what is wrong with this thing. This will be the 4th time I bring it in for this issue and I'm too the point now that "lemon" is in my head. The anti-freeze smell they can't find however they can smell it *****. I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 AM

I hope you get yours fixed. I too am getting pretty frustrated with mine. I just had mine in for the 4th or 5th time for a cold weather suspension noise and it still ain't fixed. If it was still worth anything, the car would probably already be gone.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Now I noticed this morning when I was going over a very bumpy dirt road that the front end sounded like it was going to fall apart. I've noticed it actually the past month or so. Is that what it sounds like in cold weather or is yours something different.

Originally Posted by pitbull76
I hope you get yours fixed. I too am getting pretty frustrated with mine. I just had mine in for the 4th or 5th time for a cold weather suspension noise and it still ain't fixed. If it was still worth anything, the car would probably already be gone.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM

It's likely that what you are hearing in the cold will not be repaired. I experience this noise that is generated from the front and possibly the rear in the cold weather when going over bumps and expension joints etc.

They have attempted to look into and determine the cause of the noise and have not been able to do so. I'm outside of my three year warranty period now although the service manager said they would look at it again under warranty if I brought it in. I likely won't.

My impression is that the noise is likely from various bushings. I think it's the material these bushings are made of and their inability to perform in cold weather conditions. The only other thing I could think of would be shocks and whatever fluid might be in the shocks not being able to perform in cold weather conditions.

Replacing the bushings with another set likely won't solve the problem because if it's the same composition it will have the same properties. GM won't fork over the money to do an aftermarket replacement because the results are uncertain.

One of the things I have not looked into is whether or not Cobalts exhibit the same characteristics in cold weather. If the components are the same in both vehicles they should have similar characteristics. If the components are different and the Cobalt does not make similar noises it could be easy to isolate the problem.

I'm frustrated with the problem and especially frustrated with a lack of a resolution. It's something I've learned to live with though because there is nothing else that can be done. I could do a shock and bushing swap with aftermarket components but that is out of pocket expense for me.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by vschriver
Now I noticed this morning when I was going over a very bumpy dirt road that the front end sounded like it was going to fall apart. I've noticed it actually the past month or so. Is that what it sounds like in cold weather or is yours something different.
Mine just sounds like it has creaky springs or something like that. It only happens when you go over something that causes a decent amount of compression in the suspension.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Quick search result via google brought up this at CobaltSS:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145111

It's a problem with Cobalts and with HHRs so it's pretty easy to identify it as a shared component problem and it's pretty clear that GM has no solution nor do they seem to care (in my opinion.)
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 PM

Just had the issue with smelling antifreeze. On mine, antifreeze was leaking into the heater core. Had to have it replaced. I was getting a greasy film on my windshield when I ran my defroster.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 AM

I'll run my defroster and see if I get that. I do know they said it isn't leaking anyplace. However, I did smell it again this morning.
Originally Posted by macbdog
Just had the issue with smelling antifreeze. On mine, antifreeze was leaking into the heater core. Had to have it replaced. I was getting a greasy film on my windshield when I ran my defroster.