Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Should I replace the VVT solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014 | 04:55 PM

Should I replace the VVT solenoids

I have a 06' HHR Lt with 149,000 on the odo. Just recently it started to shift hard, then the a/c would go out at the same time, then the CEL would come on. They would all go back to working fine as if nothing happened while driving. So, I changed the thermostat and the temp switch flushed the system just for S&G's but still the hard shifting and CEL this time it stayed on the code was a misfire in #3 cylinder or possible O2 sensor so I took the batt. cable off reset the code then swapped the coils to different cylinders but it came back same code. The transmission was serviced a while ago and I do regular maintenance all the time so the oil is good(I never trusted the % meter on the HUD). Could the VVT solenoid be bad or dirty? Is this a version of a "Limp" mode? Please help going mad way ideas.
Old 11-16-2014 | 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've moved this to it's own thread rather than hijacking the previous thread.

Why would you suspect the VVT solenoids, when the code you are getting is related to # 3 cylinder misfire or the o2 sensor? There are many codes that when generated, will make the trans shift abruptly.

Please post the exact code you are getting - the code itself, not a description of it - we can't offer any educated suggestions without the code itself.
Old 11-16-2014 | 05:20 PM
Administrator

Have the codes pulled and search them for your answer like code P0011 or what shows on the code reader, AZ or O'R will pull the codes for free write them down
Welcome to the site , We would not suggest throwing parts at it just yet!
Old 11-22-2014 | 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Skillet11
I have a 06' HHR Lt with 149,000 on the odo. Just recently it started to shift hard, then the a/c would go out at the same time, then the CEL would come on. They would all go back to working fine as if nothing happened while driving. So, I changed the thermostat and the temp switch flushed the system just for S&G's but still the hard shifting and CEL this time it stayed on the code was a misfire in #3 cylinder or possible O2 sensor so I took the batt. cable off reset the code then swapped the coils to different cylinders but it came back same code. The transmission was serviced a while ago and I do regular maintenance all the time so the oil is good(I never trusted the % meter on the HUD). Could the VVT solenoid be bad or dirty? Is this a version of a "Limp" mode? Please help going mad way ideas.
Did you remove the #3 spark plug to check it for fouling? Also check the wiring to the coil on #3.
Old 11-22-2014 | 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Don06
Did you remove the #3 spark plug to check it for fouling? Also check the wiring to the coil on #3.
Who knows. Another one of those that didn't post a follow up.(even though they have been back on the site)