Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

So pissed. Key stuck in "run" position

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 PM

So pissed. Key stuck in "run" position

@#&#@ After all of the annoying problems, the worst is happening right now, this weekend when I can't do anything about it! The key is stuck in the run position. This is not the shifter issue; you can't even turn the motor off with the key. I called GM roadside assistance and they were next to useless. They just told me to remove the fuel pump fuse to turn off the car. I was trying to go out to eat, and didn't think that leaving the keys in my car in the run position in the parking lot was a good idea... on second thought then I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore... Anyway, I had to take my car to my mom's and grab hers so we could park and go eat. This is about the most rediculous problem I have had with any car. On top of everything else. The dealer better take it in on Tuesday, and I sure hope that if they don't have the parts that they'll put me in a rental cause it sure isn't reasonable to expect me to drive it for any amount of time this way.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:47 PM

Don't be surprised if it is the shifter issue. Mine was stuck in accessory mode. Some could just fail in different spots.

Let us know how the dealer fixes the problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Don't be surprised if it is the shifter issue. Mine was stuck in accessory mode. Some could just fail in different spots.

Let us know how the dealer fixes the problem.
I doubt it. I'll definitely let you know how/when the dealer fixes it. I previously had the shifter issue and it got stuck in the acc position. I'm pretty sure the shift solenoid won't prevent you from turning the car off; it just prevents you from moving the key from acc to off and removing the key. I think the problem is the ignition cylinder. The dealer replaced it a couple months ago because it was loose and allowing the car to shut itself off when hitting a hard bump. I'm guessing that that new cylinder is flat out defective. Anyway, the car's getting towed to the dealer tomorrow. Even with everything I could shut off overnight, having the key in run drained the battery completely. I don't think I should have to bother jumpstarting the car since it is still under warranty and roadside assistance. This car has been such a pain in the butt lately. I've owned some old "beaters" years ago and none of them broke down nearly as much as this car does.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 PM

A few Saturn Ions have that problem too (key stuck in ignition with engine running), but my understanding is that the problem had been solved for the last 2 MY. Maybe Chevy still has some of the defective cylinders in the part bins?
Some Ion owners with the problem (and out of warranty) just learned to change it themselves (a $65 part), but the dealer still has to get involved to match the key.

Do a quick search on the ION forums and you'll find references to it.

Yves
Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Well, I'm betting like almost everything else they won't have it in stock. They had better give me a rental if they don't. There's no way to realistically expect me to drive the car in its current condition. I'm considering having a chat with the service mgr and/or Chevy's 800 number because this has been the most troublesome car me or anyone in my family has ever had(at least while I have been alive). I don't know what I would want to get out of the chat, but maybe work w/GM on warranty extension or something for all of my trouble? I don't really know. Between my wife and I we have owned 4 other GM cars, and while they weren't perfect they were pretty reliable overall. Not this one.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 AM

Chevy's 800 is a joke they will not help you out. I've read about so many people calling them and getting know where with them. I called them about all the issues I'm having and got told "sorry" but we can't help you. I love the vehicle and wouldn't give it up now but I would not ever recommend another HHR to anyone ONLY because Chevy doesn't want to stand behind their vehicles if they have issues. Good luck with the service mgr..I had better luck with them than I did with the 800#.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by vschriver
Chevy's 800 is a joke they will not help you out. I've read about so many people calling them and getting know where with them. I called them about all the issues I'm having and got told "sorry" but we can't help you. I love the vehicle and wouldn't give it up now but I would not ever recommend another HHR to anyone ONLY because Chevy doesn't want to stand behind their vehicles if they have issues. Good luck with the service mgr..I had better luck with them than I did with the 800#.
Haven't talked with the service mgr yet, partially because I had to get to work this morning, but as usual my dealer stepped up to the plate. They got me a courtesy car before diagnosing mine, which I know GM might not reimburse them for. I have come to a point with this car though where I am seriously wondering if I should cut my losses. I know I'd loose a lot by trading it in, but it really is the most unreliable vehicle I or anyone in my family have ever owned. It might seem crazy, but if I traded it I would probably buy a newer HHR. It really seems like most of the 07's and 08 owners on this board have had much better luck. There really is no other vehicle that I can think of that I want.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM

I know how you feel I love the HHR but I should have waited a few months and purchased the 08 SS.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 PM

It was a bad lock cylinder. Apparently this time they had it in stock. The car should be ready for me to pick it up this afternoon. The old one was so bad that they broke the key trying to remove it. Of course they have cut me a new key as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
It really seems like most of the 07's and 08 owners on this board have had much better luck.
Thats because first model years have always been notorious for problems and defects. It usually takes a few years to get all the bugs and quirks out of a vehicle platform. I will never buy a first model year car, unfortunately way too many people have to pay the price of being the first to own.

Quick Reply: So pissed. Key stuck in "run" position