Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Some issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022 | 10:43 AM

Finally got a code

The hard shifting issue came to a stop. I had already replace the MAF sensor and throttle body but it wasn’t until I got a new map MAP sensor that it stopped. Still chasing that rpm ghost when come to a stop and sitting at idle say at a light or stop sign. Two days ago when sitting in traffic the engine started vibrating and turning the car off and removing the key did not stop it. I didn’t want to stay stuck in the intersection so I turned it back on and it was still shaking until I got to about 40mph and it went away. Found a safe spot to pull over and popped the hood didn’t see anything or hear anything and it didn’t do it again until the next under the same conditions at a busy intersection. Today when getting to work I put it in park and left the engine running had the obd scanner connected ( one of those wireless ones and using a app on my phone. Have been constantly checking for info/ codes since I first posted) looked up and saw the t/c light on and went to the app and did the diagnostic scan and had a pending p0172 code. I’ve already changed most of things that can cause this issue but it’s not say they didn’t go bad in the meantime. Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2022 | 11:55 AM
Administrator

Check fuel pressure
Check flex pipe for cracks leaks

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0172
Old 06-04-2022 | 12:23 PM

Can you look at live data? Trims are maxed negative so fuel pressure is a good place to start.
Old 06-04-2022 | 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
Can you look at live data? Trims are maxed negative so fuel pressure is a good place to start.

I’m pretty sure I can just not sure what numbers I’m looking for. I googled a bit ( still at work) I think it said -8% to 8% for short trim is the good range? When I I’ll get off work in an hour I’ll jump in and watch it.
Old 06-04-2022 | 02:36 PM

Don't agonize over the trim values, that won't tell you the cause. Usual cause is unmetered air or fuel pressure. Live readings are fun to look at but won't tell the shade tree anything at all, neither will the trim values.

To explain what the code means for the umpteenth time: It does NOT mean that the A/F is rich, the opposite. It means that the TRIM (adjustment) is rich. It gets that way because the #1 O2 sensor senses more air than it wants so it adds fuel (trims) to the mixture. Unmetered air somewhere between the MAF and the #1 O2 sensor is the cause, if the MAF and #1O2 sensor are good. The fact that there isn't an O2 or MAF code narrows that down. The #1 O2 sensor's job is to tell the ECM how to trim the fuel to keep the A/F 14.7:1, the ECM can only control the fuel part.

If it is being harder to start you might test the EVAP purge VALVE (under the hood) blow into it it is supposed to be normally closed. Check all of the hoses going to anywhere past the MAF. Check the flex pipe for cracks. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks or leaks.

Check the fuel pressure, the pump might be trying to tell you something.

Way down at the bottom of the list is injectors.
Old 06-04-2022 | 02:51 PM
Administrator

Flex pipe or gasket

Thought it was the gasket, surprise! Busted flex pipe
Old 06-04-2022 | 03:09 PM

What you want to learn from trims is when they are moving. Does it take away at idle? Does it get better at cruise? This helps in diagnosing the problem.
Old 06-04-2022 | 03:33 PM

Y’all are awesome. Can’t say thank you enough for the help. It’s raining pretty bad right now so tomorrow morning I will get under and take a look for cracks and pipes and manifolds. I took the day stream while driving back home the short term is the first 70% of the trip back and there are some lights and such and the long term is the last 30%. Before I left work I turned the obd on and the pending code was gone and didn’t activate on the trip back. Same with the t/c light it was off when I started the car.

Old 06-04-2022 | 04:02 PM
Administrator

Good, hopefully it will not return
Old 06-04-2022 | 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
What you want to learn from trims is when they are moving. Does it take away at idle? Does it get better at cruise? This helps in diagnosing the problem.
Elaborate, please.

Quick Reply: Some issues.