Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

SOS! Heater/AC Blower not working!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:17 PM

SOS! Heater/AC Blower not working!!

Christmas in Tennessee was a downpour. We received over 5 inches of rain. I took my 2006 Chevy HHR 2.2 to my aunt for Christmas and everything was fine, that is until I get back in my car.

Upon renturning to my car my heater will not blow on any setting. After doing through research I found it may be the resistor. Before I spent the money on that I checked all the relays and fuses. Even bought all new ones. Nothing worked. Indeed bought a new resistor and put that in the car. I pulled the old one out and found that there was a black line through it. I was like okay we're going somewhere. I put the new one in and nothing happened. The next step was the blower motor, so I bought one of those. Before doing all the extra work of pulling it out by melting the original plastic on the old one, I just disconnected and attempted to turn the air on with the new resistor and blower motor and fan connected. NOTHING!!!

I am begining to suspect that the cover butyl thingy had something to do with this, but what else is there to check? Blower motor is not getting proper power. I don't have the money to keep buy parts. Someone please help me!!!

If you can help me it would be greatly appreciated as it is Christmas time and money is tight!

The Burt resistor
Posted in wrong section!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:50 PM

follow the link in my sig to learn how to post pics.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, it most likely is the blower switch itself, a multi tester will help determine that.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Deceased

Well Keenan, you're not off base in suspecting the dreaded Butyl Patch issue that affects every '06 and the first two month's of '07 production.

There is a good chance that the leak killed the blower motor, but before jumping power to it directly, scoot to your auto parts store and pick up a Power Probe test tool.

They are not too expensive, and they are fused so they'll sacrifice their internal fuse before doing damage to the vehicle.

I'd say that based on experience, it's a 50/50 deal as to whether the moisture took out the motor, or the dead short across the resistor took out the blower motor switch module.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Administrator

There are several members parting out HHR's if you want an OEM part at a good price! Check out our classified section
Old 12-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Just got back from the shop.

I was informed that the blower motor was not getting any power to it (obviously). He stated that the next step would be to replace the "controller" and that would be around $700 from the dealer. I was confused and he couldn't explain what he meant by there is power going into it but nothing coming out of it. Can someone shed some light and tell me if I should go ahead and spend that cash on this for it to not work again?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Don't spend that kinda cash, on a guy who can't tell you what it is you're being charged for!!
here is the controller or HVAC panel

For an '06

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Control-Panel-fits-06-11-Chevrolet-HHR-2-2L-L4-/400974987412?nav=SEARCH

Or this

http://m.ebay.com/itm/07-11-Chevrolet-HHR-AC-Heater-Climate-Control-15906840-/141859871433?nav=SEARCH

Please check your control panel part number on the back, before you order!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Deceased

Find another shop A.S.A.P.

For some reason this technician, and I'm being generous by using that term, is trying to sell you on replacing the BCM(Body Control Module) which is a pricey piece of kit.

Ask him how he determined that it has failed, has he hooked the vehicle up to a Tech II Scan Tool to verify its functions.

Has he tested the blower motor by applying current to it using a Power Probe, has he checked the HVAC controls for function and/or water damage?

Does he even have experience working on HHR's or other GM Delta Platform vehicles like Cobalts, Pontiac G5's, Saturn Ions, Saab 9-3's?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Is that what he is meaning? When he says blower motor controller I think he is meaning something besides the motor.

In addition I did find one part of this a bit confusing if this is the part. When the fan speeds are on the off positions and the AC button is pressed it will not illuminate. But after turning the middle dial to the right to any position and pressing the AC button will light up. Does this rule out the faulty switch? Or is this a different part he is referring to?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Deceased

Nope, that doesn't rule out a faulty switch, pressing the A/C button without another function selected will keep the A/C light from illuminating.

Think, putting the transmission in Drive with the engine off, nothing happens.

Quick Reply: SOS! Heater/AC Blower not working!!