Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Spare Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Question Spare Key

originally I had my only key stuck in the ignition with the car running. It would not back out and and it was no due to it shifting into park. I took the car to the dealer and asked them to fix it adn make me a spare key. I went this morning and drove my car to the store and back with the original key. my good friend took my original keys with him by mistake about two hrs later. So I took my new spare key and unlocked my door then went to start the car and the key fit and turned through all the positions yet my car just made a clicking noice like the battery was dead. I called the dealer, the tech said the key was programmed and that the battery was dead, if the key wasn't programmed than It would turn the motor over yet but not deliver the spark to crank. I just put a brand new battery in my car even thought the old one tested good and I getr the same results....does this sound like it is the key not being properly programmed?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 PM

sounds that way to me. I would get the original back from your friend and try that one before you go ballistic with the dealer.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
geg

knowledgeable person told me.

At the head of the key installed an electronic chip. In the ignition lock installed "magnetic ring" - the receiver signal. When turning the key chip and ring interact, recognize each other, after the ring gives the car a signal: "This man has been approved, start the engine."
Correspondingly, if the ring does not recognize the chip - the permission to start the engine is not given.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM

If memory serves me correctly (sometimes it doesnt), what the service tech says is correct, it should crank the starter but not start. You may have a persistent power drain, which can also cause the key to be stuck in the ignition.
And in case you dont know, programming the key is easy. Start with the original key, turn it off, put the new key in and start. Well worth the 1hr labor charge, right? LOL
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Founding Member

Don't start it with the original key, just turn the key to the run position. Run position would be all the dash lights come on.

Then put the new key in, turn it to the run position and then off. That will program a new key.

An unprogrammed key would turn in the ignition but not start. You should not even hear a starter click. If you can turn the new key and you get lights on the dash, radio and gauges, then it is programmed and you have another problem.