Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starter problem after ignition recall repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Question Starter problem after ignition recall repair

Had the repairs done after ignition recall and now it grinds when trying to start. Will start on second try. Could this be a problem with the new keys they gave us? By the way, GM gave us a loaner for 6 weeks after I called corporate to complain about wait time for repairs (5 months).
Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Hi anniehhr,

We're sorry to hear of the starting concerns that you have been experiencing after having your HHR serviced for the recall. We will like to look further into this for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, contact information, current mileage, and involved dealer for further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

I would suggest taking it back to the dealer that did the recall work. If it's related to their work, let them foot the bill.

If that's not the way you want to proceed, then I'm sure we could give you some advice to try and help you.
But. You really need to give a little info on your car. Year, mileage, engine, etc. is always helpful.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM

It is amazing how many problems come up coincidentally with the ignition recall repair. I even had 2 myself. Maybe it's a function of age, the youngest involved cars are 3 years old now?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Angry Recalled done now hhr won't start!

I have a 2006 HHR we had no problems with the ignition for the past 6 years but did the recall last month (August) after waiting 3+ months for the parts when we did take it in they called us and told us they couldn't get it to start and it would be over a month to figured out, the loner they gave us was crap and the $200 deposit they charged us was joke since we didn't even get a choice in a loner.

Anyways, the next day they called to tell us they put in the wrong ignition the first time, that's why they couldn't get it to work so they found and installed the correct one and we picked up the car, apparently they did not know how to put the truck back together so they just left the spared tire cover and floor mat off.

So now it's almost a month later and the car won't start, just clicks, the electrical works just fine and battery is fully charged and functional and I'm not sure what the problem is. So frustrated with this whole process and now my only car won't start, too stressful for a Sunday morning!!

Last edited by whopper; 09-14-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Ededit to make paragraphs to make it easier to read.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Whatever the problem is, it is not likely that it is related to the ignition recall work. My first thought was that it would be a battery at end of life, but you say it is ok. How did you test the battery to make sure it is fully charged?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Starter inoperable? Perhaps they shorted something when monkeying around. Maybe there's a fuse missing?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Starters do go bad. Did anyone check to make sure the battery cables got hooked back up tightly (that's why the back cover and mat were moved)?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

You mean a burnt out fuse? Fuses just don't go missing. :)
Old 09-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Wasn't sure if they would remove the battery cables, or remove a fuse to perform the swap. That's why I suggested that. Thank you donbrew for suggesting the other.

Quick Reply: Starter problem after ignition recall repair