Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Starting Problem

Hello everyone. Sorry I havent been around. I have a problem and was wondering if someone could possibly help me. Over the weekend I took a short trip to Indiana and when I stopped to get gas and tried to restart the car wouldnt start. It would just click and wouldnt even try to turnover. Well I opened the hood to possibly cool off even though I was only on the road for about an hour. Anyway about 35 minutes later the car finally started and I continued. 2 days later i went a very short distance and the same problem happened again. I took it to the dealer and they couldnt "duplicate the problem" again and they said it was fine. The car was only in the shop for less than 2 hours so I dont know what they did. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this please. I'm almost afraid of driving it and leaving me stranded. Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 02:54 PM

The first check for me would be the battery strength. From there I would check alternator output. Could also be the lenghty battery cable.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM

The dealer did check the battery and it was ok. I dont know if they checked the battery cable but I'll find out. I thought it could be the started overheating but theyre saying the starter seemed ok
Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Assuming you, or the dealer, didn't experience andy "codes...

Appears by you description, that it may be heat related. Something is "tripping" a breaker???? How about fuel delivery (which I believe has a no no/low pressure fuel-no start condition) ?

Only happens after you run the car, stop and turn it off, then attempt to start again??
Old 09-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Assuming you, or the dealer, didn't experience andy "codes...

Appears by you description, that it may be heat related. Something is "tripping" a breaker???? How about fuel delivery (which I believe has a no no/low pressure fuel-no start condition) ?

Only happens after you run the car, stop and turn it off, then attempt to start again??

The dealer told me that it might be the ignition cylinder and of course they dont have the parts so they want me to bring it in tomorrow. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem and what did the dealer tell them when they looked at it
Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
It also makes sense that it could be a "vapor lock " condition in the fuel line. I'm only drawing on past problems with older vehicles. I still have much to learn of todays technologies. Originally stated where I would start to check for a problem. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM

Sounds like something heat related. Seriously doubt vapor lock. You don't have a giagundo stereo do you? The charging/storage system on these things is pretty weak and it may be drawing down too far then needs to sit to "catch its breath". Maybe a deep electrical draw problem.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM

here i Document ID# 1777093
2006 Chevrolet HHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Intermittent No Crank, No Start (Clean Battery Side Terminal Stripped Threads, Replace Battery Cable Bolt) #02-06-04-015A - (03/07/2006)

Models: 2001-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Light-Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)

2003-2007 HUMMER H2

2006-2007 HUMMER H3

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

with Side-Mounted Battery Terminals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and provide a new labor operation number for this repair. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Numbers 02-06-04-015 and 03-06-03-006A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on an intermittent no crank, no start condition.

Cause
This condition may be due to poor battery cable connections. Cross-threaded/stripped battery cable bolts inside the battery side post terminals may cause poor battery cable connections.

Correction
To avoid replacing the battery , do the following steps:

• Clean the threads in the battery side post terminals using a 3/8" (#16) NC bottom tap.

• Replace the battery cable bolt.

The battery cable bolt is serviced separately from the cable and is available from your Parts Department. Be sure to use the correct bolt.
s one bulletin from gm about an intermittent no start condition, I will see if I can find any others
Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Document ID# 1693660
2006 Chevrolet HHR

Subject: Inspection of Related Wiring Harness Connections When Diagnosing Misc. DTCs, Intermittent Driveability Concerns, Hard Start, No Start, Incorrect Gauges, Inop I/C Systems, SES/4WD Lamps Illuminated #03-06-04-012A - (08/10/2005)

Models: 2006 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add models, model years and additional information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-012 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

When servicing a vehicle for any type of customer concern, the following steps are imperative. Inspect and ensure the integrity of all related wiring harness connectors. If the wiring harness connectors are not properly put together or engaged before they are locked together, numerous types of intermittent conditions may occur, which may include any of the symptoms listed above and possibly others.

The first step in any type of electrical diagnosis is a visual and physical inspection of the wiring harness connectors for integrity. Many times, the vehicle may be repaired just by disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors. As with all repairs to wiring harness connectors and terminals, a pull test of the terminals within the connector should be performed. A pull test is performed by inserting the proper size terminal test tool (not a paper clip) into the terminal to determine whether or not the terminal is making good contact, or whether the terminal has been damaged from the prior improper connection or lack of connection.

Notice: Most terminals used in current module connectors (ECM, BCM, EBTCM and the like) are small 0.64 mm sq. terminals and can be damaged by probing with the wrong tool.

The J 35616-64A or B probe has been designed for these terminals that may be both a round or square design.

For example, if the Connector C2 of the engine wiring harness to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), for the 2.2L equipped Cavalier or Sunfire is not properly seated into the PCM:

• The cam lock lever may close, however improperly.

• The cam lock lever may even snap out of position.

• The vehicle may have an intermittent condition with any one of the components which are controlled or monitored by the PCM.

THE CAM LOCK LEVER IS DESIGNED TO PULL (OR ASSIST) THE CONNECTOR INTO ITS FINAL POSITION ONCE IT HAS BEEN PRESSED STRAIGHT INTO THE PCM HEADER PAST THE INITIAL DETENT, ALLOWING THE LEVER TO BE MOVED INTO THE LOCKED POSITION. It is not only a retainer but an assist during the connection process . When the wiring harness connector is properly connected to the PCM, a snap will be heard when the connector is in position to be fully seated. The cam lock lever may then be closed. The cam lock lever will then do its designated job as both an assist and ensuring the connector does not come apart due to vibration or other types of conditions found in vehicles as they travel down the highway.

Remember, if a terminal (metal) or the connector (plastic) is damaged, they should be replaced. DO NOT replace the complete wiring harness assembly. Some harnesses are now on order restriction since most harness damage can be repaired.

Terminals and terminal removal tools are in the J 38125 Terminal Repair Kit and pigtails or complete connectors can be obtained through normal parts ordering procedures OR from GMSPO and Saab PDC along with tape or conduit.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Document ID# 1861621
2006 Chevrolet HHR

Subject: Various Driveability Concerns - No Start, Long Crank, Loss of Engine Power, Discharged Battery, Check Engine Light On, Engine Power Reduced Message Displayed, DTCs Set (Repair Engine Wire Harness) #06-06-04-045 - (09/12/2006)

Models: 2006 Chevrolet HHR

Attention: Use GMVIS to determine the vehicle's build date.

Built Prior to the Following Dates, Based on Engine Option: Engine
Build Date

2.2L (VIN D -- RPO L61)
April 27, 2006

2.4L (VIN P -- RPO LE5)
February 20, 2006

Condition
Some customers may comment on various driveability or engine performance concerns. These conditions may occur intermittently and diagnosis may find several DTCs set.

Some of the conditions that may be present are:

• No Start

• Long Crank

• Loss of Engine Power

• Discharged Battery

• Check Engine Light On

• Reduced Engine Power Message Displayed on DIC

Cause

The condition may be caused by one of the wires in the main engine harness being chafed or cut on the evaporative emission canister purge solenoid valve mounting bracket (1).

Correction
Repair the affected wire. Inspect other wires in the bundle for chafing and repair if needed. Refer to Wire Repair in the Wiring Systems sub-section of SI. Cover the bracket edge adjacent to the wires with conduit, a split piece of vacuum hose, tape or other suitable material to prevent the wiring from chaffing through again.
Attached Images  

Last edited by night31; 09-04-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: inserting picture

Quick Reply: Starting Problem