Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 PM

just a few bulletins that I found....there is a picture that goes with the last one. I will see about posting it. I have to copy it to my computer then upload it
Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by tcstoy
It also makes sense that it could be a "vapor lock " condition in the fuel line. I'm only drawing on past problems with older vehicles. I still have much to learn of todays technologies. Originally stated where I would start to check for a problem. Good luck.
Should never be a "vapor lock" problem on a HHR as the fuel pump is in the tank. The fuel is under pressure to the engine with the excess pushed back to the tank.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 PM

This is a dumb question, but have you re-set your fuses both inside and under the hood?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM

Next time it happens, try the spare key before you do anything else. It might be a probelm with the chip in your key that "trips" if you will, the security system so it does not recognize the key.

When I installed the radio buttons in my steering wheel, I disconnected the battery. When I hooked everything back up, the HHR would do exactly what yours does. I tried the other key and away it went. After that the original key worked just fine and I have been using it ever since (over a year).

I realize your circumstances are different but give it a try as a troubleshooting measure. As I said it might just be a faulty chip in your main key.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Its funny that you guys mention the key problem because lately the key is getting stuck in the ignition and i basically have to slam the shifter (it's automatic) a few times before it comes out. Getting back to the point of this problem I'm having, its only happened 1 more time since i brought it to the dealer. Of course i wasnt anywhere near a dealer so when i called roadside assistance it ook them almost an hour and change and by the times they got to me the car started. No i dont have a huge stereo. Everything is stock on this car. Now the problem is i normally work afternoon's and i dont get out until midnight- 3am but I'm starting to notice that the dash lights tend to flicker on a bump but it doesnt happen often. It's gotten to the point that I barely drive this car because i never know when it's not going to start again. Yet the dealer has told me that when they plug in the computer there arent any codes or errors registering so basically im at a loss of words. Any and all helpfull hints are greatly appreciated and thanks to all of you that have pointed me in the direction
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Flyboy6257
... It would just click and wouldnt even try to turnover ... 2 days later i went a very short distance and the same problem happened again.
Originally Posted by Flyboy6257
Its funny that you guys mention the key problem because lately the key is getting stuck in the ignition and i basically have to slam the shifter (it's automatic) a few times before it comes out ... but I'm starting to notice that the dash lights tend to flicker on a bump but it doesnt happen often ... Yet the dealer has told me that when they plug in the computer there arent any codes or errors registering so basically im at a loss of words ...
How about the neutral safety switch and or the shift/brake interlock? The next time it happens, try to start it in neutral.

I had a similar problem in my wife's '06 Pontiac Torrent. When we called Roadside assistance, that was the first thing the guy tried ... and was really surprised when after turning the key to on and stepping on the brake, he couldn't get the shifter to move from park. He jiggled it really hard - then it worked. Put it in neutral then it worked. When I took it to the dealer, they said the same thing - no codes -. I went through (on the Torrent) a new BCM, PCM, and several trips back to the dealer (other problems - all related - gages going out including the speedo & tach, all the warning lights coming on while driving etc. Sometimes there were codes but didn't help. They were The BCM & PCM lost communication as history, and the dealer couldn't duplicate it.) The car was already past one year old so I couldn't do the lemon law thing. They finally replaced the ENTIRE wiring harness.

This is starting to shape up to a loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness.

As for the key sticking, there is a TSB on it...
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 AM

If you have to slam the car in park to get the key out, there is a known problem with the shifters and it should be replaced. Just did one yesterday at work for a customer. The 4th one in a month. I know the Cobalts are more prone to this but have seen it on the HHR also. I think there was another post on this somewhere.