Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Steering squeak

So I have been trolling here looking for a solution to my issue. For the most part, it only happens turning right and back to center. I don't think it is the column but something with the rack or links. I hear it when outside the car, not just inside.

It sounds like metal rubbing against rubber. Just started last saturday. I don't really notice an issue with the steering feel, just the noise. It does not do it through the whole range of steering, just certain spots.

I feel like it is the tie rod end and that the bushing is failing. It only happens on the right and it sounds right by the wheel. Does this sound about right?

I know it could be a bunch of things but I am a cheapo and don't want to just throw money at it and I hate getting taken by shops.

I could do it while I replace the sway bar bushings.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Krunk
So I have been trolling here looking for a solution to my issue. For the most part, it only happens turning right and back to center. I don't think it is the column but something with the rack or links. I hear it when outside the car, not just inside.

It sounds like metal rubbing against rubber. Just started last saturday. I don't really notice an issue with the steering feel, just the noise. It does not do it through the whole range of steering, just certain spots.

I feel like it is the tie rod end and that the bushing is failing. It only happens on the right and it sounds right by the wheel. Does this sound about right?

I know it could be a bunch of things but I am a cheapo and don't want to just throw money at it and I hate getting taken by shops.

I could do it while I replace the sway bar bushings.
Welcome!

It sounds like a strut mount bearing...if its most noticeable when you are parked, I'd say thats a good place to start
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 PM

It is more noticeable when stopped or at lower speeds, say below 15 mph or so.

Car does have 115xxx or so and the struts have never been replaced. It started suddenly, as in "hey when did that noise start? Just now."

So, I am guessing then a strut replacement as I don't think those bushings are separate. Nevermind, it is on the top of the strut, between the strut and the top mount, correct?

Last edited by Krunk; 10-20-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Krunk
It is more noticeable when stopped or at lower speeds, say below 15 mph or so.

Car does have 115xxx or so and the struts have never been replaced. It started suddenly, as in "hey when did that noise start? Just now."

So, I am guessing then a strut replacement as I don't think those bushings are separate. Nevermind, it is on the top of the strut, between the strut and the top mount, correct?
Yes...I'm almost positive you have to replace the entire strut
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 AM

At 115 K your struts have well outlived their useful life.