Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Steering wheel question

Probably sounds like an odd question, but when you are driving on a straight stretch of road, is your steering wheel properly centred?

I always have to have mine turned slightly to the left. If I set the steering wheel so that it appears to be centred (flat), the car moves to the right.

It's been like that since I got it. It might be an alignment issue, but the tires are wearing fine.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Mine is dead center and has been since day one.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Roads aren`t flat.
There`s a crown in the middle, so you`re actually always going to the right, so you compensate by steering left.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Probably sounds like an odd question, but when you are driving on a straight stretch of road, is your steering wheel properly centred? . . . It might be an alignment issue . . .
Do you feel like the driver's seat and steering wheel are not centered with each other?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 PM

I know what you mean and BB does have a point but I've had cars that were like that on a level street. It should be able to be adjusted, I'd ask you dealer. worth a shot at least.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 PM

It can be adjusted...when I had all the BS with my Vue one of the issues was the steering wheel was loose...what I mean by loose is not side to side but pushing in towards the dash back towards me..they fixed it but when I got it back, the steering wheel was ****eyed...there are splines as he (SM) put it and the tech did not center it properly...

So my guess would be that you should be able to adjust it

Goose
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

No....I think it needs to be adjusted. Your alignment is probably correct, but the wheel was not centered to the alignment. As a result, I think they need to redue the alignment.

I can drive on the Interstates, and when the lane is straight, take my hands off the steering wheel and it continues straight without correction. The wheel is perfectly centered. In fact on a recent trip, I remarked how great the "road holding" is. Which really amazed me because of the comment in someones post on recent review link that stated it handled poorly at highway speeds.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
No....I think it needs to be adjusted. Your alignment is probably correct, but the wheel was not centered to the alignment. As a result, I think they need to redue the alignment.
I have to take it in again for the two issues they couldn't reproduce last time.

I'll get them to check it and see what they say. Likely won't do it under warranty, even though it was like that at delivery.

I can drive on the Interstates, and when the lane is straight, take my hands off the steering wheel and it continues straight without correction.
Same here, just the wheel is slighlty to the left.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 AM

"Clocking" the steering wheel is part of a proper alignment. Take it back to whoever did the job. It should be done for no charge, as they did not complete the alignment in the first place.
Just trying to help.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 AM

I didn`t see any thing about getting an alignment and having to take it back.
The roads in my neck of the woods have a crown.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel question