Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Strang AC issues Works in the afternoon but not in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Strang AC issues Works in the afternoon but not in the morning

Hello,

I have a 2008 HHR ss 5spd with 133k miles. last year near the end of summer early fall I noticed intermittent AC function. Didn't think much of it at the time since the season was changing. Fast forward to spring 2019 I tried my AC. It didn't work, and i remembered I was having issues. Found that the condenser was shot, broken in the fin area, and replaced it. Had my local auto shop pull a vacuum and refill the system with r134a and dye. AC worked great for 6 to 8 weeks.

Last week I noticed it cutting in and out while driving, just like last year. But this time having dye in the system I took a black light and started to search. The only spots of dye I could find were at the low side schrader valve fill port. plus it was bubbling (leaking) too. So I replaced both the High and Low side valves with AC delco ones from the Chevy dealer, pulled a vacuum for 20 min and it held, added dye and filled the system again with r134a.

AC blew cold while I filled it and for the 20 ish minutes I let the car idle while BSing with neighbor. Took it out for a drive and within 20 to 30 mins it started blowing warm / hot air again. not sure whats going on at this point.

The next day I hook gauges up to the system and check the ac. the 30 min ride to my buddys house the ac didn't work. when pulling into his neighborhood the ac starts to blow cold. we hook up the gauges and check the pressure. system seems within spec and the ac blows cold. it wasn't until this time we started to look at the coolant temp, car idling with the ac working (recirculate and high fan speed) was going from 199 to 205.

We talked for a bit 20 or 30 mins and I pulled away, ac working completely fine. about 20 mins down the road it starts to act up again and blows warm / hot air. I haven't had time to check the pressures again. Low side valve was also bubbling again after I parked the car and turned the engine off. still cant find any leaks of dye anywhere else

(TL;DR)
At this point this is how the car acts. my car stays out side all the time. In the morning around 6am (mid 70's) drive 45 mins to work. AC doesn't work. park the car out side for 10 to 12 hours and then drive home (high 80's low 90's) 45 mins AC Blows cold the entire trip. Coolant temps in the 190ish area while moving and 199 201ish while stopped at a traffic light in moderate traffic. I have never lost the coolant temp reading, I know that normally means a bad thermostat, but I am unsure at this point.

Guess I looking for some insight and if anyone has had the same issues at I've stated. funds are low right now and dealer / expensive shop time isn't really in the cards.

Thanks in advance
-Relic
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Thermostat, and stale Dexcool.

AC Delco 131-158. 180 degree

fresh 50/50 Dexcool and burp the system

repeat every 5 years for the Dexcool
Old 08-29-2019, 08:48 AM

Replaced the Thermostat, it was fine didn't need to be changed, flushed and filled with 50 50 dexcool, still no ac, it doesn't work at all now.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

You need to check the freon charge again. You stated in the 1st post that the low side valve was still leaking after replacing the schrader valves. If so, that's a leak and eventually the charge will leak down too low for the compressor to engage.