Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Sudden Acceleration in HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 AM

Good one. I've noticed this "acceleration problem" with my new SS, too. It's called 100 more HP than the Civic it replaced. ;-)
Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by HHRemi
Good one. I've noticed this "acceleration problem" with my new SS, too. It's called 100 more HP than the Civic it replaced. ;-)
haha nice
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 PM

This was discovered with the HHR almost four years ago when someone turned on the cruse when traveling up a hill at 60 mph and the transmission downshifted making the engine run at a higher rpm....

This might even been Sindy, but maybe i am wrong there. there is a thread here with that story.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Sudden Acceleration hysteria is sweeping the nation.

There is not a car model made that has not had it happen at some point. It is very rare and usalually able to be brought to a stop with a simple shift to neutral or a firm appliction of the brakes.

With Cruise on some cars can get a surge but not be a stuck wide open throttle. Rare but it does happen and usally goes away with a tap on the brake.

As stated long hills the tranny will down shift and depending on the grade speed and load the tranny can really rev up.

I don't think the Toyota thing is that wide spread as some think. There is a problem and the fact it looks as if Toyota has tried to cover it up is the real issue. Lord knows they have passed over many other quality issues too in the past.

Some of these cases I feel are also driver error as in the Audi case.

I would not get too worried on this and just keep an eye on it. If you do have an issue odds are the Cruise needs serviced and let the dealer look at it.

Once there is a new deal with Iran or in Washington the whole Toyota thing will be for gotten by the press. I just hope that they find out if it is in the computer or not as while it may not happen to a lot of cars even a few are too many.

I really wonder if Toyota even knows what is wrong.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM

I think it''s a problem with the fly-by-wire throttle. A tester for USA Today was able to easily interfere with it in several Toyotas; had a much harder time with other makes. He was very surprised. Like a hacker discovering there's no firewall.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 PM

Stories about a strange road where the wagon would run up on the horses heels when going uphill go back to the 1880's. In 1933 stories of cars rolling uphill without power peaked the curiosity of three newspaper reporters from the Saint John Telegraph Journal. In August of 1933 they traveled to Moncton and spent hours trying every hill they came to in hopes of unraveling the mystery. After 5 hours of no success they stopped to stretch their legs on the way home and you guessed it. . . the car started to roll uphill. Slowly at first and then with gathering momentum the car climbed uphill without power. They spent a couple of hours retrying the hill and using all the equipment they had brought to discover the secret. They noticed the water on the side of the road also running uphill. That ruled out magnetic properties. They decided it must be an optical illusion, but how and why they didn't know.
Shortly after they published their article, people started to come out in droves to the site and test it for themselves. A young local girl had started a business at the top of the road selling ice cream. She soon saw the potential of Magnetic Hill and over the course of 20 years, Muriel Lutes began to develop it to become a major tourist attraction.
Magnetic Hill has been a top attraction in New Brunswick for over 100 years. Originally part of a provincial highway, Magnetic Hill was eventually sold to the City of Moncton and preserved as a tourist attraction while a bypass highway was built around it. Magnetic Hill Park won a Top Attraction award with Attractions Canada. See for yourself - put your vehicle in neutral and let it roll uphill without power! Magnetic or magic? We challenge you to figure out the mystery.