Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM
jx3

Wow!! What a way to make a newbie fell welcome. How many others are here that their first post was about a problem or an odd event occurring w/ the HHR?

Let's call him and/or his daughter a liar, and then let the stand-up begin. I'm sure everyone, regardless of age, here has always been truthful when telling their parents or spouse what happened in an accident they were involved in, without any exaggeration of the details.

I believe as Snoopy on this issue......... He going by what his daughter told him. None of us were there to contradict the given story as posted.

It's not as if he came here slamming the HHR, just asking a question and possibly some advice. Similar reports have been posted here by 2 different members.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Wow!! What a way to make a newbie fell welcome. How many others are here that their first post was about a problem or an odd event occurring w/ the HHR?

Let's call him and/or his daughter a liar, and then let the stand-up begin. I'm sure everyone, regardless of age, here has always been truthful when telling their parents or spouse what happened in an accident they were involved in, without any exaggeration of the details.

I believe as Snoopy on this issue......... He going by what his daughter told him. None of us were there to contradict the given story as posted.

It's not as if he came here slamming the HHR, just asking a question and possibly some advice. Similar reports have been posted here by 2 different members.
Oh no, I'm not saying HE is a liar. I agree with you....the truth does get stretched down the line, especially when you're telling your parents something!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Yea right.....first thing I'm gonna do is get on the net...... look up hhr forums...... and post about the kids problem.
Well.....anyways....Welcome to the site and let me be the first to say
"Sorry 'bout the bad experince, glad everyone is ok".
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM

I'll join the B.S. wagon. Your kid wrecked your car and that is the best story she could come up with at the time, to save her tail. Or, just human error. Any reason why she didn't flip the key to the acc position to shut the car off? That seems like it would be my first reaction. If this scenario did play out to be true, it doesn't excuse your 31 year old, to not use 31 years of human experience to have sense enough to roll her key back 1 tick.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM

for the life of me, I can't figure out why nobody would suggest putting it in neutral then killing the ignition. Sure, it will rev it's guts out for a minute, but that's what the rev limiter is for. That will instantly make the forward acceleration stop, then kill the engine. not to mention that you'd still have brake power and steering with the car running in neutral...just my .02

Last edited by SmootHHR; 04-28-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot a rant
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Well as for me I can say this accelerating thing is true. My 2008 SS is starting to do this on occasion. It doesn't go full throttle but it does seem to have a mind of its own. This happens in cruise and manual accelerating. I was looking on here too see if someone else had found a fix. My dealership can't duplicate the issue.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by CHOLMES
Well as for me I can say this accelerating thing is true. My 2008 SS is starting to do this on occasion. It doesn't go full throttle but it does seem to have a mind of its own. This happens in cruise and manual accelerating. I was looking on here too see if someone else had found a fix. My dealership can't duplicate the issue.
I had the cruise take mine to full throttle once when I hit resume but it stopped when it got to set speed. Hasn't done it since then. I actually find it accelerates too slowly on resume.

I think they need to put a mechanical emergency stop on vehicles in case of a computer malfunction.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Don06
I had the cruise take mine to full throttle once when I hit resume but it stopped when it got to set speed. Hasn't done it since then. I actually find it accelerates too slowly on resume.

I think they need to put a mechanical emergency stop on vehicles in case of a computer malfunction.
they do...it's right behind the shifter, in between the seats.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
^
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR

Ramen! We're forgetting about the human element to these so-called events. If your car starts accelerating out of control, should you:

a) pray
b) call 9-11
c) jump out
d) disable the powertrain

I'm gonna go with "D", Regis. And that's my final answer. If some omnipotent deity created us, then he/she/it also gave us the ability to think, right? Should we really be bothering them with these kind of calls? You know, the ones that are within our power to change? I think not.

Put it in neutral and/or shut off the engine. The more you rely on the machine to take care of you, the more of yourself you lose. Stop being a passenger and start driving the car. If this happens to someone who owns a manual-equipped car, well, I don't know that I would feel bad for them. Darwinism works.

Quick Reply: Sudden Unintended Acceleration