Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Remember when the throttle cable tubes used to rust in the old VW's and you had to push the clutch in, put the Bug into neutral with the engine screaming, get to the side of the road, open the rear deck lid and pull the throttle arm back to idle?

How in the world did we survive? There was never a recall and no bleeding hearts to complain about it.

Times have certainly changed.
Yes, the times have changed. Most of us have come down from our highs! :) I can hear it now: "Like wow dude, I like think my car like wants to go like faster, dude! Like far out!". When your reaction time is slow (and your car), and things are simple... things are different. How many cars on the road today allow you to reach in the back, throw up the rear seat, and disconnect/yank the cables off the battery?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM

I wouldn't worry too much...after reading ALL the reduced power situations here Id say before you ran into a real extreme situation the car would knock itself out with multiple codes...sheesh these things throw codes for bad gas from lunch!!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1970judge
lol so you would throw your car in a gear that would almost certainly cause a wheel lock up and possibly send you into another direction killing yourself anyway; over the easy solution to just rolling back the key one time? That seems not only illogical but irresponsible to the ones around you.

Oh and P.S. you cant roll the key all the way back until it is in park, which you can't put it in unless the brake is applied while holding the lever. There are plenty of safety/overrides in these cars, you just have to be smart about it. And for what it is worth, I HAVE been stuck in a WOT situation in a carburated vehicle, it is possible to think on your feet.
I'm not driving an automatic. 5 speeds do not have a parking gear , And i'm talking about an emergency situation . Not one thats planned and calculated like your reply.

Last edited by THE BATMAN; 05-02-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 AM

Huh. Anyone else notice that the OP hasn't responded or made any other posts? Toyota pot-stirrer?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rooney
Huh. Anyone else notice that the OP hasn't responded or made any other posts? Toyota pot-stirrer?
Yep. It was a while until he even logged back in.....
Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Don06
I had the cruise take mine to full throttle once when I hit resume but it stopped when it got to set speed. Hasn't done it since then. I actually find it accelerates too slowly on resume.

I think they need to put a mechanical emergency stop on vehicles in case of a computer malfunction.
It was posted on this forum in early 2006 on how to replicate this when you hit the resume going up a hill between 58-60 mph.

During this the HHR would down shift when the resume is pressed. And I remember several of us owners had fun with this, I know I tried it and it was kool.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Yep. It was a while until he even logged back in.....
Yea, this was clearly a troll posting.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM

I'm glad I didn't opt to 'welcome the new member'. BS is easily smelt in most cases.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:12 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Rooney
Huh. Anyone else notice that the OP hasn't responded or made any other posts?
Would you? In the 2 days from posting to last log on, 2+ pages of calling the story BS. I'm sure the OP thinks this site is full of trolls and doesn't wish to bother returning.

The only member here who tried to offer any help at all was Hillsdale.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Well, there comes a time where you just can't be super nice to everybody when the story sounds like complete BS.

Quick Reply: Sudden Unintended Acceleration