Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Suspension - Something Feels Loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Suspension - Something Feels Loose

When I go over larger expansion joints or uneven / broken pavement it sounds like there is something loose in the suspension. Nothing major but annoying nonetheless. and it is most noticeable at low speeds. I have read other threads about sway bar components being replaced by the dealer. What where the symptoms and what parts did they replace (end links, bushings, brackets?)

I have mentioned it before when I took it in for service but of course they didn't find anything wrong.

Last edited by dbfruth; 07-07-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM

My fiance had the problem last winter on the front passenger side. It started as a slight rattle tin can sound coming from the front area around the steering linkage. They replaced the end links and bushings but I thought they replaced both sides.

It was once again a nice smooth quiet ride until the last couple months.

Now, it has started making the same annoying noise on the driver's side last month. In June, you could only hear it if the radio was off and you were sitting on the driver's side. Now in July you can hear it with the radio on and throughout the entire cabin of the car.

Looks like another freakin' drop off at the dealership before the warranty runs out and before we drive down to the HHRitage Nationals in 2 weeks.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM

I can sort of feel it in the floor boards. Of course I am also hypersensitive when it comes to rattles and strange noises. Was yours the same way?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Hharry had similar issues - you could feel it in the steering wheel as much as hear it. The problem got steadily worse so in March '07 @ 27,000 miles the local Chevy dealer ordered and installed an "intermediate steering shaft kit part#22730246. I didn't get off the lot (didn't fix problem) so dealer ordered and installed "steering column kit part#15806195 and "coil" part#15923770. This stopped the noise/feel but now @ 40,000 problem is coming back and warranty is expired (SOL).
I'm not sure if I'm helping or just complaining but this is the only real problem Hharry has had other than self-esteem issues caused by being mistaken for a PT Cruiser.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM

I have tried to find better aftermarket bushings for the anti sway bar but I can't find anybody that makes them.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
I can sort of feel it in the floor boards. Of course I am also hypersensitive when it comes to rattles and strange noises. Was yours the same way?

Yep...

She can kinda feel it through the floor board on the driver side. She calls it a rattling can sound and just keeps getting noisier with any bump or rough road. It sounds identical to the prior issue she had on the passenger side.

She cannot feel any vibration in the steering wheel at all so I'm sure it is not the steering column issue (especially since the original noise was on the passenger floor board) and the first repair corrected the problem on the passenger side.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 AM

I had a similar problem with mine. It sounded and felt like the rattle was coming from my passenger side. I took it in for that and several other issues (replaced the int. shaft for the clunk, rotors & a few others). I'm at work and don't have my paperwork with me but they told me that it was from 2 modules (i think thats what they said) rattling against each other. They re-mounted them and put some kind of padding insulation between them and the rattle is gone.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 AM

Big Kahuna, I had the steering column replaced. I could hear and somewhat feel the rattle in the car, but I didn't feel it through the steering wheel. Your explanation of when it happens and what it sounds like really sounds like the bad steering column I had.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Big Kahuna, I had the steering column replaced. I could hear and somewhat feel the rattle in the car, but I didn't feel it through the steering wheel. Your explanation of when it happens and what it sounds like really sounds like the bad steering column I had.
Thanks...

Guess I better write your explanation down as well, since it sometimes takes the OWNERS to explain to the DEALERSHIPS possible solutions to problems with the vehicles THEY are suppose to be experts on...

I appreciate your help on this...

She's only had her HHR for a year and this will be the 4th trip we've made since she bought it with vehicle part failures. Thank goodness these HHRs come with a warranty.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 AM

I don't really hear anything as much as I feel it. I have had it to the dealer for various problems and twice they have said it was ok. I ignored it for awhile thinking it was just the crappy firestones riding more harshly than when new. Well I replaced the tired recently and it is still there. I am almost ready to take it to a different dealer and see if they can fix it. I like my current dealer and the service writer is great but this is not the first time it has taken more than one trip to get something done.

Quick Reply: Suspension - Something Feels Loose