Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ticking/rumbling noise in new HHR 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info!

We too are heading off on a trip to Florida in a couple of weeks. The dealer told my husband not to worry - he said "there are GM dealers in the States that will help if you break down". Isn't that reassuring!

P.S. (Snoopy - how do I put a picture of my car in this post - I figured out how to post a picture into the gallery but I can't seem to copy and past into a post...any suggestions?)

Last edited by HHRDreaming; 07-10-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: question
Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Ticking time bomb?

Well, my husband tried another GM dealer today. He just went in and asked a question about a diagram for the engine or if a service mechanic could help him figure out what part might be rubbing against another possibly causing the noise.

First he was told they didn't have any idea about an engine diagram for the 2.4. He then asked if a service mechanic could come outside and lift the hood on another 2.4 so that he could show him the part which appeared to be making the noise. No luck there either. Finally, a salesman said to him "if you bought the car from us I would be your sales rep and could help you..."

We are pretty disgusted at this point. I believe with the manufacturer's warranty any GM dealership can help you!!!

Anyway, we are going to go back to the original dealer and speak to the Sales Manager and insist on some proper service. Even if it is nothing mechanical, it is annoying as anything!

Sounds like we have a little diesel truck at times.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1/DSC_0001.JPG
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM

Cool

Mine has always made a ticking sound when I turn it off. I was told it is something cooling down, I think something to do with the exhaust system. I have always heard this noise when idling and after turning it off, but I guess it is common on some types of vehicles and is nothing to worry about. I assumed all HHRs made this noise.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Mine makes that exhaust ticking noise all the time. I can only hear it when the windows are down and I'm stopped at a light or something similar.

I think the noise HHRDreaming is coming from the engine.

HHRDreaming, where are you in Ontario?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM

Ticking sounds like the engine

It is hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. We believe it is the engine as you can here it upon acceleration as well as at idle. We also have the other ticking noise referred to when the engine is cooling off coming from the exhaust - we aren't concerned about this one. The best way to describe this noise is to go and listen to a diesel car engine, my friend had a Jetta and it sounds similar to this. The weird thing is it isn't always loud - like last night, we went for a drive and it seemed much quieter. Then I drove to work this morning and it was very loud and annoying. It doesn't affect acceleration, but it doesn't sound right either.

Snoopy talked about the lifters - we are going to ask about this at the dealer. We just want a straight answer and some solutions and not the brush off. Don't get me wrong, we love the car...it is so much fun to drive, it is just disheartening when we waited 8 weeks to get her, being so excited and then having this noise that won't go away. As I said, the first week she was so quiet, it was a dream to drive. Then the ticking started and it is louder than at first.

We are in Ontario - just north of Toronto. Thanks for your comments and concern everyone.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

HHR Dreaming.....

Sorry I didn't see your question, way back, regarding how to post a picture.

You need to be a paying member, I believe, to use the gallery pictures as the host and move them to the thread area. Another way is to join one of the free photo hosting sites, like www.photobucket.com , post your pictures there and use the img configuration to transfer them directly to the post, here.

Regarding your car and ticking noise.......you mentioned the noise as you accelerate. Does the noise get faster AND louder as you accelerate? Also, with the car in Park or Neutral, if you increase engine speed(rpm) does the noise increase as well?

Man, I hope it's NOT the lifters !!! At the dealership, try to meet with the MANAGEMENT people....Service Manager, Sales Manager and finally THE GENERAL MANAGER. And by all means, protest your responses from the dealer representatives to Chevrolet Customer Service, the phone number is in the back of the Owners Manual.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Snoopy
You need to be a paying member, I believe, to use the gallery pictures as the host and move them to the thread area.
Any member can post pics from the gallery.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, then maybe you can help her out, please.

I don't use the Gallery at all.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM

if original dealer and sales guy don't help.. call GM directly.. look in op manual for a phone number.. or check the owners web site. If all else fails park it in front of the dealership one night with a big sign that says lemon...
It sound like the dealer dosn't want to spend alot time hunting for problem that he wont get reimbursed for through warranty... i use to run a shop and you can loose your tail trying to find a problem...

I would suspect you have motor mount thet is defective and causing a vibration or noise..

tell the dealer your going wait on his lot till somebody looks at a hrr then speed over and rev the engine till they go away...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Oh, then maybe you can help her out, please.

I don't use the Gallery at all.
Problem already solved..............
post 10..............https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...629#post168629

Quick Reply: Ticking/rumbling noise in new HHR 2.4