Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ticking/rumbling noise in new HHR 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black Rose
I have the valvetrain noise at idle (2.4L) and have an AC Delco/Hengst oil filter.

We can't get Supertech or Purolator filters here in the great white north, so my only other choice is Fram.

I just passed the 3,000 mile mark on my synthetic oil run and am considering changing the oil filter. That would certainly be one way to prove/disprove your theory about possible oil flow restriction.
Agreed.

Then again, I wonder if 2.4's might exhibit idle valvetrain noise due to the way GM implements Variable Valve Timing, since the 2.2 does not have VVT?

It would be interesting to poll for valvetrain noise @ idle with respondents checking off whether they have the 2.4 or 2.2 liter engine. May show a trend, may not. Even if a trend was apparent it may not be indicative of a problem-- it may nc (normal condition) for the 2.4 engine due to the VVT.

P.S. The FRAM cartridge style filters seem to be quality pieces. Unlike some of their standard canister filters.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Does the ticking go away when you turn off the A/C or heater fan?
No. Totally different noise from the heater fan.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Another day at the dealer and no luck!

Hi all,

Well, Fireball just had another morning at the dealer and it was shrugged off once again. Yes, they can hear the ticking but it was a Saturday and their "proper technicial staff" don't work on Saturdays. Also, the technician said that unless GM has a technical bulletin posted on-line, they can't do anything about it.

Anyway, my husband called the Sales Manager we bought from and we are taking her back into our original dealer on Wednesday of next week. We are going to get to the bottom of this.

In answer to some questions:

The ticking is constant and we have isolated the noise to the engine. We lifted the hood last night and could clearly hear the noise coming from underneath the black plastic shield covering the engine (possibly the fuel injector rails?), sorry not a mechanical person! My husband said it is above the intake manifold.

The ticking-noise speed increases and falls with the RPMs.

The ticking occurs at idle with clutch depressed, also with car in neutral position. This rules out the speedometer cable and transmission. The tachometer involves only wires.

We listened to another 2.4 litre engine on the lot today, a Cobalt. It did have a similar sound to the engine, however, the ticking was nowhere near as loud as ours, and seemed a bit more regular like the engine should sound.

So, back to the dealer we go. We checked the oil pressure and all is fine on that score.

One other small problem that started the end of this week, she is drifting to the left. Tires were checked today and they are OK. Apparently the service tech said that GM will not let them do anything with the alignment before 5000 kms. We hope to get all this ironed out in the next week as we go on our long road trip to Florida.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and information. If anyone has any other info please pass along. We'll keep you posted

P.S. (The noise occurs with AC on or off)

Last edited by HHRDreaming; 07-14-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: answer to question
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Sometimes "ticking" or "clicking" IS caused by Fuel Injectors. Annoying but not a reliability issue.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:26 PM

Mine ticks I think...not too many 4 bangers are quiet...noisy little rascals

I hear your pain as I used to drive myself crazy trying to compare different cars and see if this one made this noise or if it did was it the same pitch etc...I decided on this HHR as long as it starts every morning and gets me to where I need to be I'm happy (for the most part)

Dealing with dealers on sounds is numbing...unless it is so obvious that it sounds like it is going to blow up, they will just tell you it is normal or they don't hear anything...

Goose
Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Banned

Maybe you could record a sound clip and post it for us?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 AM

It is ludricrous that the dealer won't even put a mechanic's stethoscope on the engine to investigate. This would likely isolate the cause to the injectors on the fuel rail. It would only take a few minutes to do.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info. We will ask for this again on Wednesday. My husband did ask about this at the one dealer, but no response. They hooked it up to a scanner and said nothing was wrong. However, the stethoscope would certailny isolate the noise.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:22 AM

A scan tool will not set a code for a noise. It sounds to me like you have an injector ticking it is possible to have to have an injector problem that could cause just one to be louder than the rest. I have seen it happen before but then again its very hard to diagnose over the internet. The dealer can use ther scanner to disable each injector one at a time to see if the noise goes away and involves nothing more than plugging the scanner in to the car. I can't say for sure that the an injector is the problem but they could rule them out in about 5 min. Being a technician myself it is absoloutly rediculous that the dealer won't do anything. I am shocked and embarrased by your situation.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 AM

Great to correspond with a technician. If the problem is an injector, can they be replaced individually or must replacement be as a set of four? Can a bad seal or bad "O" ring be the source of the problem?

Quick Reply: Ticking/rumbling noise in new HHR 2.4