Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ticking/rumbling noise in new HHR 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by HHRDreaming
Great to correspond with a technician. If the problem is an injector, can they be replaced individually or must replacement be as a set of four? Can a bad seal or bad "O" ring be the source of the problem?
Injectors can be repaced individually and if it were a o-ring it you would most likely have a fuel smell and possibly a visable leak not a noise. I've checked for GM bullitins and also the GM service forums but havn't found anything pertaining to your problem. It seems that you are unique unfortunatly. Don't give up though its a great car my wife and I love ours but we also havn't had any problems.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for checking all those service bulletins. You've been a wealth of information. The HHR goes back to the dealer for service tomorrow. If it gets fixed I'll post the results for all to upgrade their knowledge.

Cheers!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM

I too am a GM tech [retired} the Injectors can be quite noisy! To a person that is not used to the noise, Like GruitHHR said you could still have one or more that are needing more press. to open causing it to be noisy. I konw that this is not much help but again like GruitHHR I think that it is so sad that they can,t or won't help you. See if you can get the shop forman to go for a ride with you or help with the noise.

Good luck when In FL if still having prob. PM me and I can get you in to a dealer here in Sanford,FL that will talk to you.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM

Mine does both

My 2006 1LT with the 2.4 auto has both the ticking which I believe to be exhaust thermal expansion, as well as the pulling to the left.

The front tires were swapped side to side and the pulling problem has gone away. It may come back after I rotate the tires a couple more times to get back to the original position. Only time will tell. Just so you are aware, the ticking I refer to continues after the car has been turned off.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 PM

Unhappy Still unresolved after another dealer visit

Sorry for the long post, but I need to vent after our rotten day and no resolution. We took the car to the original dealer where we purchased Fireball. We left her with them for the day hoping they would diagnose the ticking and come up with a solution. As well, we asked to have the alignment investigated to determine the cause of pulling to the left.

We arrived back at 4:00 p.m. to discover that nothing had been rectified. The service manager stated that they checked all the injectors, yes they could here the annoying ticking, but nothing appeared out of line. They checked with GM to see if a service bulletin was posted, and of course none was. The service manager test drove the vehicle and said, "yes the car does drift to the left, but it also drifts to the right. It is just very road sensitive!"

The worst, however, which has us completeley and utterly disgusted, is when we went to get into the car it was filthy! The front seats, leather steering wheel and inside doors were covered in grease. The floor mat was so filthy that I almost burst into tears! We had just detailed the complete car and scotch gaurded her before bringing her to the dealer. They shampooed the carpet mat and it was better, but not llike it was. Their clean-up guy came out with a brown rag (God knows where it had been) and applied some solvent to the seats. He made matters worse. He attacked the seats first, then wiped grease off the steering wheel with the same rag, and went back to the seats one more time! Now we have a dirt ring around the original grease marks. They told us to give it a night to dry...come back if not better and they would do the whole car. I'll be damned if I let them near it again.

We got home and tried in earnest to remove the stains, no luck. You can see the dirt circles on the seat. We have tried the professional upholstery cleaner from GM, and a professional upholstery cleaner for fine furniture. No luck. Does anyone have any suggestions!

We just love this car and are devastated by the lack of care taken.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM

I can certainly understand why you would be upset. I would be furious. As far as cleaning the interior, I have had good luck with a product called tuff stuff foaming cleaner. It works great on the door panels, carpet and cloth seats. Not sure about the leather seats. It doesn't say anything about leather on the bottle, but it doesn't say not to use it on leather either. I wish you luck and hope your HHR is beautiful again soon.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 PM

Thanks, we are willing to try anything at this point as long as we don't have to take her back to the dealer again! From now on we are going to put our own plastic covers down and mat covers before anyone (service people) even steps inside!

Where do you buy this product? We are in Canada - Ontario, just north of Toronto. We are going to the States next week though, so if we can't get these marks out before then, perhaps we can buy the product while in Florida.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 PM

I would still take it back if not only for, but to let the Owner, Service Manager, Service Writter see what happened at their place. Take Pics for future problems. If it can not be removed, they may have to replace all that they damaged!

Sorry see all soon!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by HHRDreaming
Thanks, we are willing to try anything at this point as long as we don't have to take her back to the dealer again! From now on we are going to put our own plastic covers down and mat covers before anyone (service people) even steps inside!

Where do you buy this product? We are in Canada - Ontario, just north of Toronto. We are going to the States next week though, so if we can't get these marks out before then, perhaps we can buy the product while in Florida.
I have found it at Walmart and auto parts stores like O'reilly and Autozone.