Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Time for a new engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019 | 02:12 PM

Time for a new engine!

Most of you already know the history on this car since I've owned it. For those who don't, some highlights.

While investigating oil deposited at the mouth of the turbo,(turned out to be from the PCV system) I discovered a minor problem with cylinder #4. Some leakage(5-6%) into the crankcase, probably rings.

I fabricated catch can systems to help with the PCV oil coking of the intake valves. These were working great for quite some time.

I then started experiencing a lot of oil consumption. After a cylinder leak down test, I knew that the problem was not the rings. I replaced the turbo, I replaced the valve guide seals. Nothing seemed to really help the oil consumption.

I placed a new ZZP LDK engine in my shopping cart. Something was causing the free shipping to not apply. While I awaited an email answer about it, I decided to do one more test, a vacuum test on the PCV system.

The vacuum was terrible, I discovered that the main(intake-side ) can was clogged. I did not realize that the catch cans need to be cleaned periodically. I cleaned the cans, (and soon upgraded to nicer cans) problem solved!

I had been getting the p0420(catalytic converter) code, but now the problem was fixed, I hoped it would go away.

A couple of months ago, the engine started running hot. I burped the system every few days, it was usually a little low on coolant, but only about a cup or so. Does the head gasket have a pinhole? Another leak down test says no. The coolant recovery bottle was just a little fuller than normal.

Ok, so about a week ago, I start getting the oil consumption and smoke out the tailpipe again. I checked the catch can again, but it is not clogged.

Another leak down test. Spark plug #4 is oil fouled, and the leakage is now 28%.

I going to borrow donbrew's turban, and predict that there is a hole in the piston.

When my credit card cycle closes on the 19th, I'm going to be ordering that engine.

Someone just posted on fastsuv's thread, thanks for the reminder that I don't need a lift to drop the engine cradle. I'll see if mom and dad want to get me a pair of farm jacks.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ut-lift-57722/

I see these factors

Carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, due to the oil consumption from the clogged catch can.

Clogged or partly clogged catalytic converter, also due to the oil consumption from the clogged catch can.

One or both of these caused the engine to run hot, which finally burned a hole in the piston.
Old 12-11-2019 | 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

That's just bad luck for you with it. But great diagnostic techniques over the last while, got you thru some issues for sure.

Thanks for the refresh on the history. I know many of us will be following the story on the engine replacement closely.
Old 12-11-2019 | 02:32 PM

Yeah, I'm not pleased. If only I had kept the catch cans clean... Expensive lesson.
Old 12-11-2019 | 04:55 PM
Administrator

Wished we lived closer, a great opportunity to help wrench on your ride!
Old 12-11-2019 | 05:18 PM
Banned

were in cali are u , i have a lift u can use ???? if u are close
Old 12-11-2019 | 05:23 PM
Administrator

There you go! The power of community!
Old 12-11-2019 | 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by hellshotrod
were in cali are u , i have a lift u can use ???? if u are close
Thanks Dave, but I'm about 3 hours away.

I also have a shed to move, so the jacks will really help me with that task.
Old 12-11-2019 | 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Hope all lines up well for you RJ.
And good diagnostic work. Sometimes our lessons come with a big price, but we remember them best (imo).
Old 12-12-2019 | 10:50 AM
Banned

offers good any time if u need , lmk gl dave
Old 12-15-2019 | 09:52 AM

Funny, I ordered my ZZP crate engine about 3 years ago and the free shipping did not show After a phone call I got my free shipping. GOOD LUCK
BTW, The engine went in easy and runs very strong!

Quick Reply: Time for a new engine!