Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tire Sensor Service light / message

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM

Tire Sensor Service light / message

Have a 08 Panel LT and the service light and message continues to appear even tho not one tire requires attention, I have had it looked at and cancelled and within two miles the sensor message pops up again.. How can I just bypass the sensors all together and cancel out the message?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 PM

No way to bypass it that I know of. You should be able to see one of the sensors showing a low psi or --- in the display. If so then you will probably need to replace that sensor.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Banned

You might consider replacing all four. I read that the batteries last from 5 to 7 years and when one goes out, others are soon to follow. I don't believe they are meant to be serviced, but wonder if anyone here has tried replacing just the batteries?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 PM

basically the sensors are part of the valve stem and will require removing the tire from the rim to service or replace...is that correct?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

Yes. I found this video on replacing the battery in a corvette TPMS. Don't know if it is made the same as an HHR unit, but is quite interesting.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 AM

Yes you have to remove the tire from the rim or at least break the bead to change a tpm sensor.

You can get hhr replacement tpm sensors for about 20 to30 bucks. Ebay has a set of 4 for 70.00 free shipping.

Seems like changing the battery is far too much work for the money.

You never said what your tps problem was. Your car is an 08 and there is a tsb for your tpm's depending what kind of problem your having.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Yes you have to remove the tire from the rim or at least break the bead to change a tpm sensor.

You can get hhr replacement tpm sensors for about 20 to30 bucks. Ebay has a set of 4 for 70.00 free shipping.

Seems like changing the battery is far too much work for the money.

You never said what your tps problem was. Your car is an 08 and there is a tsb for your tpm's depending what kind of problem your having.
Make sure when you have them put in, that they have the proper tools to reprogram your sensors to your car. Expect a cost. I would call around first. Our shop would charge you to mount the sensors, but reprogram free or for $30 we would tell you what sensor is bad and aply cost to new sensor. We charges $80 installed and programed.
Note; We are seeing lots of sensors with dead batteries from 08... I have installed one in mine.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM

I had a sensor fail a few years ago on the left rear it showed on the dash as ---

I bought a sensor had my local tire store change the sensor then I relearned the tpms per the owners Manual just like rotating the tires.

Our hhr's do not require any special tools to relearn the tpms

With that said some 08 hhr's do need a reflash of the body controller because the relearn function was not programed correctly from the factory.

Here is the tsb you may or may not need this. To test your car to see if this tsb is needed try to do the relearn procedure in you owners manual. If it works you probably don't need the tsb reflash.

08-03-16-001b
#08-03-16-001B: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes on Al Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) - (Jul 31, 2008)

Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR)

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu

2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2008 Saturn AURA, SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

• The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

• The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2® could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

• Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

• Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

• Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 PM

A) you cannot replace just the battery.
B) you don't need a special tool to program new sensors. The standard "rotate your tire" procedure does the trick. You know add/remove air. If they want to charge you for that, then RUN.
C) the sensor is not part of the valve stem, but is attached to it.
D) my personal experience has been that the problem was having a cell phone with wireless and Bluetooth and a laptop with wireless and Bluetooth sitting in the car between the RCDLR and the RR tire, and other cars in heavy traffic and Quantico MCB. The RR is ALWAYS my problem, no matter which wheel is in that position.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 PM

all I'm getting is the yellow tire symbol and the message "SERVICE TIRE SENSOR"
Frankly I will be swapping out rims for the summer and not running sensors at all and I would really just like to remove that program all together.. drove for forty years without them..

Quick Reply: Tire Sensor Service light / message