Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tolerating Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Tolerating Noise

I just bought a 2008 HHR and I love it, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the infamous clunk-clunk noise that it is seemingly known for. Road noise I can deal with just fine, but the clunking just sounds like something is broken/ not right. I had an oil change today and the dealership checked for any problems after I mentioned it was clunking, and they said everything looked fine. I've read a LOT of things on the internet about this "problem" and it appears to be a normal thing for this vehicle.

How do you folks tolerate it? I've read about little fixes, like struts and such, but they don't appear to be solutions, just brief lulls between the inevitable clunking. I really like this car; I want to REALLY like the car, though
Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Well, there is a wealth of info in the forums here, but you have to understand that things do wear out - even suspension pieces - they don't last forever. it is a 7 year old car after all!!!!

You didn't mention the mileage on the vehicle, but low mileage vehicles as well as high mileage vehicles require ongoing maintenance. And that goes for all makes, not just the HHR.

Most of the suspension issues, that the members here have encountered, are not that expensive to fix. However, too many people start throwing $'s at it rather than having someone actually diagnose the problems, and pinpoint the actual cause.

Best advice IMO - have the front suspension checked by a reputable trusted mechanic, checking the sway bar mounts, and the links, and the lower control arm bushings and ball joints.

Did you buy it from the dealer that could find no problems? If so.............. that speaks well for having an independent mechanic give it a once over before purchase.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Welcome to the site.

X2 on the above post. I own two hhr's one 07 and one 08. Nether one has clunking noises.

I have had clunking noises in the past but I investigated and replaced what ever was loose.

I would not drive a car with a continuing clucking noise even if it was safe to do so. If you are already ignoring noises how are you going to be forewarned when something go's wrong?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Deceased

aboard, and X3 to the above.

The dreaded HHR clunk 'n rattle can be cured, and fixing it now will save you money down the road.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...g-pop-s-50648/

Read this that I found by typing "clunk" into the search box.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Administrator

X I lost count , I have 171,000 miles my '07, yes I have replaced the links and the sway bar bushings and the lower control arm bushings but that was almost 75,000 miles ago, so rest assured that right parts will stop the clunk and last a long time!

Welcome to the site! Enjoy that HHR!

FWIW my niece's '07 Dodge Caliber has had the same issues with the clunking and I have replaced the same pieces, and her clunk has stopped also!

And to plagiarize George Clinton, Ah We found the clunk! Got to fix that clunk!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 AM

Well thank you all for the responses. It has 48,000 miles on it. I knew going in to buy it, it wasn't going to be the quietest car in the world and to almost expect a little clunking. I did buy it from the dealer, but I have a powertrain warranty with them. I'll make sure they take a look at it soon.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Gotta fix that clunk
Don't keep it clunky now!!

Hopefully it's just a bushing or loose end link!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jtp1389
Well thank you all for the responses. It has 48,000 miles on it. I knew going in to buy it, it wasn't going to be the quietest car in the world and to almost expect a little clunking. I did buy it from the dealer, but I have a powertrain warranty with them. I'll make sure they take a look at it soon.
Hey there,

Let us know if you need any additional assistance into the dealership. We would be happy to reach out to them if necessary. We are just a private message away :).

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-07-2014, 05:15 PM

Does nobody understand that the underlined bold text is a link to something meaningful? We need to change something if they don't.

Quick Reply: Tolerating Noise