Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Traction control probs on HHR unfixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
alg

Traction control probs on HHR unfixed?

Has anyone managed to get their traction control error to finally go away for good?

Is there a way on a 2006 HHR, 2.4l auto trans to disable the traction control?

I have yet to read of one person having a recurring 'service traction control' message that has solved the problem.
I see a lot of people are having problems, but no info on how to solve the issue.

I have had the issue for a long time. Dealer is a useless turd that charges me $100 to look at the car and tell me they do not know what the problem is.
The car cannot be sold with this problem and I cannot get anything rectified under warranty or otherwise. Feel like the HHR was a very bad decision and now I am stuck with it forever.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM

traction control.

I have a 2006 with the 2.4 auto it was driving me nuts and the check engine light was on for about 2 weeks, I went to a local transmission had 12 codes the air cleaner to the mass air sensor had come a little loose he plugged in the Snap On computer device fixed the problum cost me $25.00 runs great now, I hate going to the dealer all they want is a lot of money, good luck with getting yous fixed.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 PM

traction control ligth

I'm going to try get the scanner that you says, I have the same problem for about 3 weeks, check engine and traction control ligth, the dealers here have no idea what's happend .

Regards from Mexico
Old 11-27-2009, 01:30 PM

I still cant get a handle on my traction control problem. Background-I have the CGS intake, IMCO muffler, and computer mod by Tune Time. I have replaced the MAP and MAF sensors, oil coated air filter with dry filter, and had the tune removed. Still have the problem, and it has progressively gotten worse. Originally I only got the code if I did a burn out. It gradually came on more frequently-while coasting, stopped at a traffic light, etc. Sometimes it goes for weeks, other times it happens as I drive. Between that and the front rotor problems, it is very frustrating.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
I still cant get a handle on my traction control problem. Background-I have the CGS intake, IMCO muffler, and computer mod by Tune Time. I have replaced the MAP and MAF sensors, oil coated air filter with dry filter, and had the tune removed. Still have the problem, and it has progressively gotten worse. Originally I only got the code if I did a burn out. It gradually came on more frequently-while coasting, stopped at a traffic light, etc. Sometimes it goes for weeks, other times it happens as I drive. Between that and the front rotor problems, it is very frustrating.

That might be your problem right there... Trust me, I'm not trying to flame you, but it's very possible you may have toasted the ECU portion of the TCS, or one of the ABS sensors while performing said "burnout". If so, that's out of warranty and you're up the creek unfortunately... but I hope that's not the case.

Later
Allex
Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Your local Autozone or other automotive parts centers have a scanner that they will read your codes and reset for you. ChevyMgr posted codes here so you can see what may need to be repaired. I like to reset the code one time just in case and pay attention if it comes back on. Sometimes it just needs to be reset.

Disclaimer: This is my own preferred method and may not work in all the cases!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
That might be your problem right there... Trust me, I'm not trying to flame you, but it's very possible you may have toasted the ECU portion of the TCS, or one of the ABS sensors while performing said "burnout". If so, that's out of warranty and you're up the creek unfortunately... but I hope that's not the case.

Later
Allex

Are you kidding me? First, I cant believe that burnouts would destroy the ECU. Second, I am not talking about heating up my slicks at the strip. I am talking about coming off a traffic light or stop sign and squealing the tires a little. I never had any code problems doing this for the first year I had my car. Then, after installing the intake and computer tune (within a few weeks of each other) the car began with the codes. The popular theory here is that the change in air flow/resistance is the cause of the codes. People even have the problem with the GM performance intake.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by lee3333
are you kidding me? First, i cant believe that burnouts would destroy the ecu. Second, i am not talking about heating up my slicks at the strip. I am talking about coming off a traffic light or stop sign and squealing the tires a little. I never had any code problems doing this for the first year i had my car. Then, after installing the intake and computer tune (within a few weeks of each other) the car began with the codes. The popular theory here is that the change in air flow/resistance is the cause of the codes. People even have the problem with the gm performance intake.
i had installed a performance chip the mfg. Had indicated that it might 2 weeks for check engine light to go out, i removed the chip as i had not noted any performance change,,then had the transmission shop connect the codes deleted no problums now.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Are you kidding me? First, I cant believe that burnouts would destroy the ECU. Second, I am not talking about heating up my slicks at the strip. I am talking about coming off a traffic light or stop sign and squealing the tires a little. I never had any code problems doing this for the first year I had my car. Then, after installing the intake and computer tune (within a few weeks of each other) the car began with the codes. The popular theory here is that the change in air flow/resistance is the cause of the codes. People even have the problem with the GM performance intake.

If you were doing said "burnout" or squealing the tires and tried to turn off the TCS at the same time, you'd cause some damage to the ECU or at best really, really confuse the crap out of it, enough to throw a code. But it seems like your problems are deeper than that. Owning a lightly modded SS, spinning the tires comes way to easy for me and I've yet to experience any CEL's for the TCS (knocks on a Redwood!). Hope you get your problem solved soon man.

Later
Allex
Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. I dont know how to turn off the TC-there is no switch like some other cars have on the 06 model. Like your SS, my HHR was always able to burn rubber at half throttle from a stop. With the mods, it will do it now at about one quater gas. Natually when this happens I dont keep my foot in it. But even a slight chirp is enough to set off the code. And, like I said, now it even happens when I am just cruising (or even stopped at a traffic light) so something else is going on.

Quick Reply: Traction control probs on HHR unfixed?