Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Turn signal fuse location

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009 | 03:43 PM

Turn signal fuse location

Can someone tell me where the turn signal fuse/ relay/ thing a mabob is on a 08 SS....did the led thing front and back and now they are flashing alittle too fast...want to try replacing the thing and see if that will slow them down.
Old 05-05-2009 | 03:53 PM
Founding Member

The flash is controlled by the BCM. Can't be changed. On a factory system, when a bulb goes out the BCM pulses the on/off flash faster. It may be picking up the difference in your aftermarket LED.

But others have installed LEDs so maybe they will chime in with whatever resistor or something to recreate the factory load.
Old 05-06-2009 | 02:32 AM

Thanks for the extra quick reply Mr. CHEVYMGR. Kinda thought that was the low down....heard the flasher click thru the speakers......Guess I'll do the resistor shunt......just hate cuttin' on the wiring....... Now the big question....put'em out in the fender or track the wiring and put'em under the hood?
Old 05-06-2009 | 06:09 PM

Go back to the supplier of the LED "bulbs" and see what they have in mind before hacking into the wiring. Perhaps they have another product that already has the additional resistive load built in.

If you decide to do the wiring thing, 3M has some real neat "taps" that you can use instead of cutting wires. 3M part numbers 951, 952 & 953 for 22AWG - 12AWG wires. My local large auto parts supply (not Kragen or Autozone) has them as well as the local car audio install place.

I found these Taps when I de-installed the dealer’s alarm system and love them. They are insulation displacement and self-insulating incase you wish to remove the modification at a later time.

Last edited by Sno White; 05-06-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2009 | 06:20 PM

I agree about checking on the LEDs rather than trying to add a resistor yourself. Back when I first got my Silverado there were guys on that forum doing LEDs and some worked and some didn't. You needed the ones with a resistive load built into them for the Silverado. Bet it's the same solution with the HHR.
Old 05-06-2009 | 06:25 PM

Where to do the hack job?

Not entirely accessible under the hood - front only. The BCM has four different logic/power supplies feeding each of the four corners of the vehicle. So if you were looking for a common location to do the changes that is where I would start.

You didn't say if you installed LEDs on just the front or the rear. If it is rear only then I would go for each of the access panels in the rear and stay away from the BCM. As for the front locations - I have not gotten into dismantling that part of the vehicle yet to know.
Old 05-07-2009 | 03:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys....what I've done so far is replaced all the regular bulbs with led's.......Rear stop, turn and running lites are from Race and Street, special "THANK YOU" to Maggie! Tag lites and rear sidemarker lites are from Superbright led's.....I went with the "5 lite" bulbs, part number is something like WLED-R5 for the sides and WLED-NW5 for the tag. Up front sidemarkers, went to a local place and got their 4 bulb lite, not as good/ bright as the Super's. Would have/ should have gone with Super's (if I had it to do over again). Top mount stop is Super 921-R9......lost cruise but once again a shunt should solve that. The front turn/ running lites are from Ledtronics....not totally happy with them but finding the "right" bulb for the front is not easy or maybe possible. Kinda thought there would be a "too fast" flash problem.
I'm thinking a couple of resistor shunts soldered inline up front (one on each side) will fix that. It's not actually the cool factor that's driving me...it's trying to lower the power usage/ draw off the battery. As far as the manufactures....... all they are worried about is the cash register!
Old 05-07-2009 | 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sno White
If you decide to do the wiring thing, 3M has some real neat "taps" that you can use instead of cutting wires. 3M part numbers 951, 952 & 953 for 22AWG - 12AWG wires.
Gotta give this a try or at least a look see....I'm not lookin' forward to jackin' up the front end, takin' the tire off, removin' the fender liner and doin' the splice in solder job. I half think with this connector I could git r done with just pullin the liner loose.
Old 05-07-2009 | 11:54 AM

OR - Do everything at the BCM connectors.

According to my 2009 FSM:
Left Ft. BCM Conn X1 Pin 35 Light Blue
Left Rr. BCM Conn X3 Pin A9 Yellow
Right Ft. BCM Conn X1 Pin 17 Dark Blue
Right Rr. BCM Conn X3 Pin A12 Dark Green

Connector X1 is the connector towards the front of the vehicle in a horizontal orientation, X3 is the big one above it
Old 05-07-2009 | 02:30 PM

sno white....is that for the 08..... the resistor needs to be run in parallel with the led bulb....one side ties into the positive/hot wire and the other end ties in with the negative/ground wire....might be alright doing close to the bcm but wouldn't want to be too close...LOL and besides, where are they hiding the bcm now days. Two or so years ago did a swap out on a big truck and one resistor per side on the front only was enough to fix the problem. Didn't have the issue with just the Race and Street set up...began after doing the front.

Quick Reply: Turn signal fuse location