Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

"TWANG!" Seat noise - advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Question "TWANG!" Seat noise - advice please?

Hi Folks, Well, Elvis started a new noise yesterday that I haven't been able to isolate. When I hit a dip or pothole, I get a large twang sound like a spring slapping against metal. At first I thought it was under the front passenger seat. When home I thumped the seat and got the noise to reproduce....and it sounded like it was under the rear of the console. I disassembed the console, drove it, and it sound like it is from under the front passenger seat. HELP!? Any ideas folks. I did find one thread showing how to pull the front seat and tilt it up, so I may do that if I have to. What am I looking for? You folks are the experts. God Bless, Marc

PS, this thread was the closest I could get to being my issue.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...highlight=seat
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Update

As an update, I worked on the car today, and the "twang" seems to have stopped, at least momentarily. It seems to me like it has to do with the spring loaded stops in the seat fore-&-aft track. I moved the seat to a different spot and it seems to have stopped. However, I lined the inside of my console with sheet foam and Armor-All'ed the parts before reassembling (to stop plastic creaks). I also added a small strip of felt the where the vertical sides of the rear console touch the forward part of the console. I understand that is a source of noise for some.....might as well head it off early. I also slid the seat full forward, and noticed that big cross bar the seats mount to really resonates if any noise is around it. I wrapped the bar in sticky-back black felt. Quieted that piece down......no ringing sound if bumped, and you cannot see it at all. I also added felt pads under the plastic HVAC outlets under the seats. Lots of opportunities for places to stop noises if you take a look. Drove the car tonight and no problems for now. Of course, that means tomorrow I'll be whining that the "twang" is back! Hah, hah, hah. God Bless, Marc