Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Vibration driving over 45 mph when I make a right turn... & Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Thumbs down Vibration driving over 45 mph when I make a right turn... & Frustration

Hi to everyone. I´ve experienced an issue during the latest 6 months, and is getting worst. This is the situation. If I´m driving above 45 mph straight and if move slightly the steering wheel to the right, the front end begins to vibrate, and also there´s a noise, like rumbling. For the left side, there are no issues and the steering wheel doesn´t shake or vibrate in any condition (left or right). Also vibrates when I´m driving over a ramp. I´ve replaced the driver´s side hub bearing about 1 month and half ago, and the vibration still present. In order to avoid chase a ghost there is the list of the root causes that origin this.

- Sway bar end links. The bushing looks worn (flat) and without grease.
- Sway bar bushing. If them are shot, may cause this?
- Replaced hub bearing. As I told you, I replaced the driver´s side hub bearing with OEM parts. however, when I try to spin the new bearing, it wasn´t very easy. To be honest, I don´t know if a new hub bearing should rotate without apply a lot of force.
- Passenger side hub bearing. If I make a turn to the right side, is possible that this might be?
- Strut Mount. Everytime that I pass over a bump, I hear a thump noise.
- Brakes: Since I replaced the bearing, have appeared rust in the rotor. I mean, the rust pattern is circular, and covers about the 25% of the rotor braking surface. The rust is near from the axis.
- Tranny mount. Everytime that I shift to 'D' o 'R' nothing happens regarding to strange noises.
- CV Axle. Not torn boots and not clank, clunk noises when I move the steering wheel.
- The infamous steering column.

I just want to know which of the conditions described above could lead to this vibration. I´ll apreciate any help and suggestion.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Just a thought, but a loose wheel?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goose2448
Just a thought, but a loose wheel?
Already checked... and tires are ok...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Huh never had this, I would start with a good lube job and go from there.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 AM

I am experiencing something similar right now, feels like a wheel out of balance, but it comes and goes. I can usually feel it when turning on the highway.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by prod
I am experiencing something similar right now, feels like a wheel out of balance, but it comes and goes. I can usually feel it when turning on the highway.
Migth be out of balance... Your steering wheel vibrates or not? You feel it on both sides or just one?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 PM

Maybe an outer wheel bearing ?

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta start somewhere: I'd check both front wheels for excessive end-play, with a dial indicator.. Should be less than .002

Also look for any spots on inner rims that may be missing wheel weight(s)...
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 AM
geg

Problem is uniquely located in the wheels.
Faults Stabilizer bar and STEERING GEAR posing knocking sound. Vibration of such failures are not felt.
Hum really typical for bearings FRONT HUB, but such a failure does not vibrate.
I'm interested in information about the rust on the rotors. Rust is situated on the working surface of the rotors? Rust on the rotors appear in places where the brake pads do not touch the metal (operating curve). If so, then you have found the cause of vibration. Test. If the vibration is worse when braking - the cause of vibration in the brake mechanism.
Remove the brake pads and evaluate the uniformity of their stitching.
Uneven abrasion material of brake pads - a serious failure that can lead to accidents.
Replace not only the brake pads, but rotors (rotors can be running tap if America is practicing a kind of repair will be cheaper). Explore Brake Caliper. Rubber components should be no gaps. Working piston free of rust.
Even if you do not find fault in the brake mechanism - it does not matter. Routine inspection brake is never over and you shorten the list of possible causes of vibration.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by geg
I'm interested in information about the rust on the rotors. Rust is situated on the working surface of the rotors? Rust on the rotors appear in places where the brake pads do not touch the metal (operating curve). If so, then you have found the cause of vibration.
Yes, the rust is situated on the working surface of the rotors. In the outer face of the rotors is closer to the axis of the wheel, and in the inner face is closer to the edge. If I brake, I can´t feel vibration to get worst, but I still feeling it. Also, few days ago, the Vibration/noise stoped when I pressed the brakes (obviously when I turn to the right). Now, although I press brakes, the vibration still... First thing to do (and cheaper too) is going to change brake pads and re-surface rotors. I would like to change them, but believe me, in México is very hard to find parts for HHR and expensive too...Ironically for a car made in México.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Vibration driving over 45 mph when I make a right turn... & Frustration