Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Vibration driving over 45 mph when I make a right turn... & Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Gotta start somewhere: I'd check both front wheels for excessive end-play, with a dial indicator.. Should be less than .002

Also look for any spots on inner rims that may be missing wheel weight(s)...
I´ll follow this too...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Gotta start somewhere: I'd check both front wheels for excessive end-play, with a dial indicator.. Should be less than .002

Also look for any spots on inner rims that may be missing wheel weight(s)...
BTW, if there is excessive end-play, can be fixed with alligment of the front end?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
I would like to change them, but believe me, in México is very hard to find parts for HHR and expensive too...Ironically for a car made in México.
I well understand you.
Find part HHR in Russia is even more difficult. This car is not available in Russia and is Autoexotics.
I order all the parts in the U.S..
I would be glad if my information will be useful for you.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Goose2448
I would start with a good lube job and go from there.
No lube points on an HHR.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 PM

WOW I feel real stupid now. Have owned this car for 5 years come 11-17.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

Zagohhr, I know this may not be about an HHR, but, I had a Chevy Silverado that had that happen to it before. What it ended up be was a loose bolt, AND the rim was bent. Have the wheels and tires run on a balancer and see if they are warped or not. If it's not that. It may be something more.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM

UPDATE:

I´ve put more attention to the noises and any differences when driving, to obtian a better diagnosis. Then, there´s another stuff:

- Every time that I pass over a well, or passing over an offset over the road (I know that my english is not so good, is some thing like this -----------_____---------, try to imagine that the dotted line is the road, and the solid is the "offset" as I call it) I hear a noise like rumbling, rubbing, grindind although I drive straigth.

- Going at low speed, if I make turn with the steering wheel, I can feel in the steering wheel and barely hear an infamous "clank, clunk".

- Everytime that I pass over a bump, I heard a thump, pop noise (not a metallic noise).

Then... I´m suspect that the driver´s CV axle is worn, and brakes too... What do you think?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
geg

The noise you hear is not necessarily associated with vibration.
The noise you hear, can produce: spoiled Sway bar bushings; maladjusted steering gear; killed Strut Mount.
All of the above - a typical weakness of HHR.
I see that your car is very tired and in need of repair throughout the front suspension.
You must spend a total inspection of all parts of the front suspension.
I also think you should start to exclude causes of vibration.
I pointed you to the problem of the brakes. Repair the brakes, check whether the vibration is preserved. If vibration remains, the next step, such as Sway bar. Start with replacing the cheapest parts and not labor-intensive operations, excluding the possible causes of vibration, step by step.
Incidentally, AXLE ASSY. What are the characteristics of noise? This is the crunch? Recalls whether what you hear sounds of a fingernail on the scallops? If this sound (crunch) occurs only during steering, and if you see that the protective rubber boot is torn - prepare to replace AXLE ASSY. You killed hinge angular velocity (CV JOINT). Mexican dust penetrates through a hole in the rubber protection and corrodes the metal in a short time. Status rubber protection should be checked regularly.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by geg
I see that your car is very tired and in need of repair throughout the front suspension.
This makes me feel a quite sad... To describe better the sound, yeah, is like a crunch noise just when I move the steering wheel. If I move the steering wheel side to side, with the car stopped, I can hear sligthly that crunch, and I feel a pulsation from the brake, and also in the steering wheel. Some times when I move the steering wheel too, going in low speed (below 20 mph), I can feel this too... If I go faster, in good condition a totally straight freeway, is there when the vibration is beggining, and RrRrRrRr noise, rumbling, gremlins, and gets worst when I turn right (I feel that I´m driving a WWI airplane). But, its interesting that the steering wheels doesn´t shake/shimmy/vibrates, just the lower end, near from the gas pedal... I insepected the suspension, and it seems that the sway bar bushings are a little torn, but the bushings of the end links are flat and really worn. CV boots look ok... I hate "made in México" cars... I want to know why GM didn´t plan to make the HHR in Hammtrack, Detroit or another U.S.A. location? Why they planned to make it at Ramos Arizpe (not a nice place, really)...?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
Yes, the rust is situated on the working surface of the rotors. In the outer face of the rotors is closer to the axis of the wheel, and in the inner face is closer to the edge. If I brake, I can´t feel vibration to get worst, but I still feeling it. Also, few days ago, the Vibration/noise stoped when I pressed the brakes (obviously when I turn to the right). Now, although I press brakes, the vibration still... First thing to do (and cheaper too) is going to change brake pads and re-surface rotors. I would like to change them, but believe me, in México is very hard to find parts for HHR and expensive too...Ironically for a car made in México.

Thanks for your help.
My 2 centimes is bad front brakes, probably bad calipers or caliper slide pins. Note rust pattern on working surface or rotor, and sudden resolution after application or brakes. If you do not know what you are doing with brakes hire someone who does, not the guy next door who has a jack and a socket set!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Vibration driving over 45 mph when I make a right turn... & Frustration