Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water in the Driverside Front

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Hey I think I fixed it. The passenger side drain was clogged and I think the water travelled to the driver side. I ran water in each hole and no further issues. I peeled back the carpet to monitor. Nothing came through. Hey thanks for the help I'll monitor and keep u posted.
Cool beans Thanks for the update! I heard about the passenger side getting wet with a plugged drain , good to know it can also leak on the drivers side!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Administrator

thanks for the info, I'll be checking these leak points on my 2007 LT later today
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM

As a precaution, im also going to throw some RTV on the door harness. I checked it and it was sealed properly but its not overly "tight" so just in case. But the Passanger side rain was completely clogged so I will consider that location more of an issue.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Hi, which drains are you referring to? AC condenser tray, or the drains from the cavity that has the "Butyl patch" problem?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Cavity drains, on each side. so remove the cowl and since i have no patch you can just look right down. Like stated earlier gonna goop it with rtv on the rubber gasket where the door harness grommet.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I checked those cowl drains. the drivers side was free, but the passenger side had a bunch of debris covering it, so I bloew it out from underneath with compressed air, and then vaccuumed the debris from eveywhere it landed around the cowl. I also RTVed the passenger side door harness conduit/sheath where it was separating from the door frame on the body.

the bigger problem now is that the carpet pads are SOAKED, completely, from front to back on the passenger side, from all the rain intrusion since last friday, (and maybe longer)

the pads are a super absorptive spongy material which soakes up water on contact and retains it entirely too well I'm afraid. I pullued up my front carpet and foumd a fricekn LAKE underneath, even though the top surface felt only slightly damp. squeezing the carpet padding cause almost a half-quart of water to drain out, onto the exposed metal floor.

I vaccuumed and squeesed as best I could, but there's still water in and under the carpet padding that I doubt I'd be able to dry out without removing the entire carpet from the car, squeezing out as much water as possible, and then hainging it up somewhere hot and dry for at least a week. its soaked thru all the way to the back seat footwell. I"m kinda bumming, I've only had the car a month.

one positive though, pulling the carpet it was immedately apparent that the water was flowing in past a triangular rubber plug on the inside of the door pillar, which really doesn't seal particularly well at all. when I pulled the plug out, I could see water inside the pillar.

I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow so they can do the full spectrum of leak tests per the TSB about HHR leaks. according to them its covered under my 12/12 used car waranty, we shall see though. There's no way they'll be able to dry the carpet pads fully in a day, or even two.

maybe I should start my own thread about this...
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM

I just RTV my triangular seal this friday, but waiting for rain to see if it worked, i also will keep you posted.

I followed more or less this flow...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/drivers-side-leak-again-36429/