Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Whats that noise???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Whats that noise???????

My HHR has been doing this crazy sound it only happens in the morning when my car has sat over night and its cold like below 30, when i first start driving it makes a noise in the front like bump bump bump.....etc it almost sounds like a flat tire. i cant feel it or anything and it goes away after about 2 min or less of driving.It does not do this when its warm or hot outside. i did take it to the dealer they said to bring it back when it gets cold so they can mimick it. what do you guys think it could be?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Banned

I think it's either the spring pads on the struts or the suspension bushings reacting to the cold. Seems to go away after a mile or so on my car, never happens if I've let the car warm up.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 AM

It's the hamster that makes the motor run. Takes him a little bit to warm up
Old 12-05-2007, 08:36 AM

I see from your post of 12/01/07 that you put on new wheels, Are the tires the same ones as your other wheels. If not some tires well get a flat spot when sitting overnight when cold and will be fine after they warm up a little.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
I see from your post of 12/01/07 that you put on new wheels, Are the tires the same ones as your other wheels. If not some tires well get a flat spot when sitting overnight when cold and will be fine after they warm up a little.
no my car has always did it even with the stock 16s.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I think it's either the spring pads on the struts or the suspension bushings reacting to the cold. Seems to go away after a mile or so on my car, never happens if I've let the car warm up.
that actually kinda makes since mine does the exact same thing if i let it warm up nothing!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

I've been living with this too.... Only in cold weather. Seems more pronounced when first starting and going over "micro bumps" in the road. Those bumps that let you feel a jounce but not enough to flex the suspension. Could it be the air cleaner in it's bullet-proof case? maybe until it warms up and expands enough to wedge itself in place? Just a thought - never looked into it.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by GCarp
I've been living with this too.... Only in cold weather. Seems more pronounced when first starting and going over "micro bumps" in the road. Those bumps that let you feel a jounce but not enough to flex the suspension. Could it be the air cleaner in it's bullet-proof case? maybe until it warms up and expands enough to wedge itself in place? Just a thought - never looked into it.
I have the cgs intake and i have the noise so air cleaner is not the cause. It sounds to me the upper strut near hood.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
I have the cgs intake and i have the noise so air cleaner is not the cause. It sounds to me the upper strut near hood.
thats is exactly where it comes from. do you think its a problem or just normal with the suspension?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
thats is exactly where it comes from. do you think its a problem or just normal with the suspension?
I've had similar noises, my HHR would actually make noises all year (although very minor during warm weather) with it being extremely noisy during cold weather. My noise typically does not go away right away like others have reported. I wanted to have it looked at yesterday when my HHR was in the shop having a light problem addressed but I got a call at the end of the day saying they couldn't get it into the suspension shop because they were too busy.

This was the second attempt at trying to have the suspension looked at, the first attempt also didn't happen because they were too busy. Kinda seems as though either there are a lot of suspension related problems or my shop needs more people in the suspension department or most likely both.

Is it normal with the suspension? Well, I guess it is.
Is it a problem? Yes and no, it probably depends on who you ask.

Quick Reply: Whats that noise???????