Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 PM

Wheel Hop

I have owned a few front drivers and have never had as much trouble with wheel hop as I do with my HHR. Anyone know of any ideas to help reduce this? My HHR is lowered already, and I have tried dropping the tire pressure (doesn't make sense to me since they are stock tires). Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 PM

I run 22-25psi when doing timed runs. It makes a big difference.
Slipping that clutch a little more will help too (so it doesn't lock up immediately)!

I don't have to worry about it as much with the automatic - but it will spin the tires a whole lot now that I've changed to the IMCO turbo muffler. Huge difference.

Last edited by SoCalHHR; 03-15-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 PM

i was gonna suggest slipping the clutch some more, i havent had any problems launching mine and getting wheel hop
Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 PM

please check here

we're looking to develop a part that will certainly help with this problem...

if you can provide pictures and possibly take some measurements, we'll be that much farther ahead...

EDIT: when you dump the clutch it should grab or spin, wheel hop will KILL your mounts, especially the tranny mounts...

(looking for a 2.2 and 2.4 here)
Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 PM

How easy do your wheels spin, Mike? My stock 2.4 does burnouts at 1/2 throttle. It even will spin the tires from a slight roll. Maybe the ground on the East coast is more slippery.

I also have tremendous torque steer. The other day, I pulled away from a light and was not holding the wheel tightly. It yanked out of my hands and veered to the left into oncoming traffic.

Why are some people getting wheel hop??? That is from the tires gripping too much (too much hook-up), isnt it?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:42 PM

My PSI was stock so about 32. I tried feathering the clutch a couple times but still got a lot of hop out of the 2.2L. Will dropping the PSI make that much difference? On the street (asphault) I go from a 3k drop in first and just spin a bit the hook up and gone... at the strip they have cement and I might as well have a jackhammer in my engine bay. I tried launching higher and lower but it either hops longer or bogs down. Thanks for the input thus far guys!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vita
please check here

we're looking to develop a part that will certainly help with this problem...

if you can provide pictures and possibly take some measurements, we'll be that much farther ahead...

EDIT: when you dump the clutch it should grab or spin, wheel hop will KILL your mounts, especially the tranny mounts...

(looking for a 2.2 and 2.4 here)

what do u need pics of?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
How easy do your wheels spin, Mike? My stock 2.4 does burnouts at 1/2 throttle. It even will spin the tires from a slight roll. Maybe the ground on the East coast is more slippery.

I also have tremendous torque steer. The other day, I pulled away from a light and was not holding the wheel tightly. It yanked out of my hands and veered to the left into oncoming traffic.

Why are some people getting wheel hop??? That is from the tires gripping too much (too much hook-up), isnt it?
Oh, mine will do plenty of burnouts! With the IMCO turbo muffler and Synthetic (Mobil 1) oil, I'm pushing a few extra hp now.

Wheel hop is more prevalent in sticks than auto's and is usually due to a rough launch. Clutch slipping helps - but in an auto it shouldn't be an issue unless you're into the throttle waaaay too much. I'm a leadfoot and never get hop.

Just checked my pressure today, I'm running:

24.5 front
27.5 rear

Run what works for you. I like mine low and grippy and they are not wearing bad at all. (I usually rotate every oil change).

32psi is way too pumped for the HHR - it only weighs 3155lbs.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
My PSI was stock so about 32. I tried feathering the clutch a couple times but still got a lot of hop out of the 2.2L. Will dropping the PSI make that much difference? On the street (asphault) I go from a 3k drop in first and just spin a bit the hook up and gone... at the strip they have cement and I might as well have a jackhammer in my engine bay. I tried launching higher and lower but it either hops longer or bogs down. Thanks for the input thus far guys!
For drag racing, you need a slight bit of burnout, or as you have discovered yourself, you either bog or hop. This is why people do a lot of experimenting with widths and compounds of their slicks. And why everyone doesnt put on the fattest tire that they can find. I would think that increasing your tire pressure would help reduce your traction and giving you more slippage, thus eliminating the bog or the hopping. Cant hurt to try. I used to autocross my car, and the hot trick was 40 or 50 PSI. Everybody brought propane tanks converted to hold air.

Remember-when you do a burnout, the most damage is done by the initial jolt. Once the tires are spinning, you are only wasting the rubber. Wheel hop puts stress on the universal joints, tranny, etc. each time it 'hops'.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
I have owned a few front drivers and have never had as much trouble with wheel hop as I do with my HHR. Anyone know of any ideas to help reduce this? My HHR is lowered already, and I have tried dropping the tire pressure (doesn't make sense to me since they are stock tires). Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I had a fully bolted sentra before the HHR. it had bad torque steer and wheel hop. easy solution. buy front and rear motor mounts and fill them with windo-weld. Click here for a good write on filling motor mounts

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop