Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Where to buy battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Question Where to buy battery?

I am getting ready to buy a new battery and wondered where the best place to buy one is? The battery appears to be vented...Do I need to buy a vented one or just go to Walmart and buy a battery that physically fits for $44?
Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Never buy a battery just because "it fits." I used to work at Advance Auto Parts and there were MANY people that did this and voided the battery's warranty because it didnt have enough CCA's for their car. Running a battery with fewer CCA's than is specified by the manufacturer is just setting yourself up for electrical issues down the road IMHO. For the most part, when it comes to buying a battery, you usually get what you pay for. That's just my
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM

I agree. The battery is basically the "lifeblood" of your HHR other than the fuel, and if you skimp it will definitely come back to bite you. I know. I went the cheap and fits route once and my battery gave out in the middle of a road trip in Death Valley in July. I would get the recommended battery for your vehicle. I am running a Diehard double (two batteries in one casing) and a sepearate yellow top Optima for my stereo.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Sears Die Hard has always been our replacement choice !
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM

Because your battery is inside of the passenger area "vented" is important.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM

Spend the bucks and get a gell-cell or a red top.....
Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Because your battery is inside of the passenger area "vented" is important.
It didn't take me long to break off the vent connection at the battery. Just removing the battery in cold weather did it. The vent tube is too stiff.

Has anyone bothered to repair this? If so, any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Marzipan
It didn't take me long to break off the vent connection at the battery. Just removing the battery in cold weather did it. The vent tube is too stiff.

Has anyone bothered to repair this? If so, any suggestions?
Mine has broken off twice as well, not even bothering it. when I first got it (used with 8 miles) it was broken; Dealer replaced. and then i just had to use the jumpers for my friends car and sure enough it was nearly broken through again. I was careful to make sure the jumpers weren't hitting or even getting close to the vent tube, so it wasnt that, but the dealer replaced it under warranty.

I was thinking of getting a dry cell battery so i dont have to worry about that. anything wrong with that line of thought as long as it is powerful enough?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by FLBOIZ13
Mine has broken off twice as well, not even bothering it. when I first got it (used with 8 miles) it was broken; Dealer replaced. and then i just had to use the jumpers for my friends car and sure enough it was nearly broken through again. I was careful to make sure the jumpers weren't hitting or even getting close to the vent tube, so it wasnt that, but the dealer replaced it under warranty.

I was thinking of getting a dry cell battery so i dont have to worry about that. anything wrong with that line of thought as long as it is powerful enough?
I thought you were supposed to jump start the car from under the hood? Thats what the manual says anyways.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Darkangel
I thought you were supposed to jump start the car from under the hood? Thats what the manual says anyways.
you are. I always roll my eyes when I see people jumping cars using battery posts instead of the recommended jump points. I figure they think they know more about cars than the engineers who designed them.

Same goes for a friend of mine who insists on overinflating his tires to about 40psi "for better gas mileage", but he's the first to complain about how rough his ride is.

Quick Reply: Where to buy battery?