Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Where to buy battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009 | 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Not all of us live in WARM Miami. In the COLD winter when batteries are not at their best and engines have thick oil, the minimal gauge wire used in the HHR from the Battery to the engine compartment DOES reduce the voltage and current available to jump start another vehicle.

This picture may help those who are wondering about space:

Shown are the original battery and a 1000CCA Red Top. They are isolated by a constant duty relay that is activated only when the Fuel Pump is energized.
Cool
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:46 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Geez! I hope I get a little more battery life out of mine! The battery in my Lumina lasted 8 years, and 130,000 miles! It was the original battery. The one in my truck was 6 years old when I replaced it. Both were AC/Delco brand.
AAA even says that in the Phoenix area "Usual " life of a car battery is about 2 Years. I figured 4 Years was pushing my luck! Maybe the original would have lasted another Year or two. Just wasn't worth the worry to me.
I don't relish the thought of sitting out somewhere in 110/115 degree heat with a dead battery!
Old 10-24-2009 | 11:39 PM

I was just comparing the stock battery with the ones Optima has available using this picture as a guide.

Someone on another thread said to purchase the Optima 75/25, but the posts are wrong on that battery.

It looks like the Optima 35 with the posts reversed, and would be the better fit. I got into my battery compartment tonight, and I am convinced the Optima 35 is the way to go...

Can someone tell me that I am wrong before I place my order.
Here is the link for the specs on the Optima 35
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/schema_35.html

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-25-2009 | 06:40 AM

Remember, Because your battery is inside of the passenger area "vented" is important.
Old 10-25-2009 | 07:09 AM

I am sure this could be an item to debate, but based on what I read on the Optima Website, venting does not look like that big of an issue with these type batteries.

I have been using these type batteries for years for various projects in enclosed areas, and have never had a problem. The one observation you will have after making a purchase/replacement of these type batteries. It will be the last one you every buy...
They typically outlast the ownership of the vehicles.

I am still waiting for a reply from someone to confirm that the Optima 35 is a good choice.
I am still concerned of the terminal difference based on other threads where they purchased batteries with the standard GM terminal format, where it looks like the HHR is actually reversed. It could be they added the Optima as a secondary battery, and it did not matter with there application. I want to remove the GM Battery and put the Optima in as a replacement.
Old 10-25-2009 | 07:22 AM

I too kind of think the Optima may work but the Vent still may be an issue.

Note Optima does not list an HHR in their guide or have a recomended fittinng?

When they list about all other Chevys and not the HHR it does make me consider there is a reason.

The post are not an issue as it will bolt int and fit since they offer the battery in all configs. You just need the one with the post on the correct side.

I will recheck with them when I got to work and see. We sell them and unless they changed it they had no listing.
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie
OK, the original conversation was about a replacement battery. The dealer wants $161 for a replacement, but I always trade up my old batteries with Optima Gels. No venting, handles high heat, will work in any position, and has an extremely long life. It does cost $155 and you get to install it.

Now, will it fit and hook up with those weird cable ends on the HHR?
I have an Optima battery in my GTO. They're not gel cells, they're AGM (absorbed glass mat) type, which is a different construction than a gel and requires special consideration while charging.
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by txbass06
Optima makes a Yellow Top that fits mid 90's Civics that has posts small enough for our OEM terminals to fit. I'm just not sure if they'd have enough CCA's...
Yellow Tops are deep cycle batteries. CCA's are generally more than enough, but you do trade off some reserve capacity for the ability to be completely discharged without damage. A Red Top is generally what people go with who don't specifically need deep cycle capability.
Old 10-25-2009 | 10:15 AM

Thumbs up agm batteries

the optima is round cells and does not vent, the Sears AGM is flat plates the afgm batteries the electrolyte is is glass matts no micro poruos separaters which is like running in knee deep water. for years I sold agm forklift batteries, agm batteries do not vent.
Old 10-25-2009 | 12:26 PM

I would seriously consider an AGM battery, when the time comes, since its pretty much sealed in that rear compartment. If I don't go that way, it will be an Interstate battery.

Quick Reply: Where to buy battery?