Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Wind noise??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Wind noise??

I know this has been discussed before but thought I would bring it back to the forefront.

Obviously the QC between HHR's leaves a lot to be desired as some of the HHRs here have some pretty good wind noise and others don't(the 3 I rented prior to buying mine had a pretty quiet ride)

It's not so much the wind noise from the doors..I figure it is a basically an econobox and you are usually gonna get some wind noise

The thing that is really getting under my skin is this....how can I describe it? I can't tell where it is coming from but it is a noise that sounds like those plastic tubes you used to whip around above your head and it would make a funny noise...does that make sense to anyone? Has anyone else heard this noise?

I'm just afraid I'll bring it to the dealer and he will blame the bug deflector I have on the front of the car (made this noise prior to that) I really didn't notice it in warm weather because I always have the windows open but now that it has been cold.....turning up the radio really isn't a good solution

I've heard some people say that the mirror caps can make funky noises but it doesn't sound like it is coming from there

Anyone?

Goose
Old 03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Founding Member

Do you have a roof rack? If so does it have the crossbars?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Nope

Goose
Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Founding Member

It's hard to fix what you can't hear.

I would remove the bug deflector and take it to the dealership.

I would road test the vehicle with the service manager or at the very least a shop foreman if they have one.

Verify he hears the same noise.

Also:
1) Does it sound like a whistle?

2) Does it only happen when you are moving?

3) Does it happen at all speeds?

4) Does it sound like a harmonic tone, such as maybe tires or bearings?

5) Does it seem that the noise is coming from the dash area?

6) Does changing the mode (floor/vent/defrost/AC/Heat) on the HVAC system change the noise?

7) Do you have a sunroof? If you do does opening or venting it change the noise?

8) Have there been any sightings of loud UFO's in your area?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:17 PM

noise

I have the same noise in my 08 HHR...I don't know what the heck it is though
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM

I have to say the HHR offers a much quieter ride than my minivan did. I do have the roof rack but not the cross bars. I don't have a sun roof. Could that be the source of your noise?

I did notice a lot more noise when the rear tire area was open. It took a few days before I could get somewhere to buy new tires and the flat would not fit in the wheel well. It sounded as bad as a empty cargo van. I'll keep that area closed from now on.

Last edited by SandyBeach; 03-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I would remove the bug deflector and take it to the dealership.

I would road test the vehicle with the service manager or at the very least a shop foreman if they have one.

Verify he hears the same noise.

Also:
1) Does it sound like a whistle?

2) Does it only happen when you are moving?

3) Does it happen at all speeds?

4) Does it sound like a harmonic tone, such as maybe tires or bearings?

5) Does it seem that the noise is coming from the dash area?

6) Does changing the mode (floor/vent/defrost/AC/Heat) on the HVAC system change the noise?

7) Do you have a sunroof? If you do does opening or venting it change the noise?

I may bring it in with the deflector on...it is a royal pita to take off and on believe it or not

Those are all some very good questions....I'm hoping that when whoever goes for a ride should be able to tell as far as bearings tires etc...no sunroof

It is hard to tell exactly where it is coming from.......HVAC doesn't really change it afaict

It may very well be coming from the dash but it is very difficult to tell..once again I hope it doesn't come down to "We don't how to fix it..sorry"

That would be unfortunate...

Thanks for your input....I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this noise and how it has been fixed.....

Goose
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM

I am getting a very faint whistle since getting down to Florida, dont know if the warmer climate has brought it on as I did not have it in Michigan.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 PM

I have a weird noise that i can only hear at highway speeds, and i'm pretty sure its coming from the plastic vents in the front fenders... its almost like a high pitch buzzing noise. As far as over all cabin quietness, my car is a 5 spd and my girlfriend has a auto and you can hear more noise through the leather shift boot than in the auto, but i don't mind. Just turn the radio up. LOL
Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
That explains it ! now I know why I get that whistle!
Oh thank you for clearing that up.

Time to move to Roswell NM

curtsy
Elle'

Quick Reply: Wind noise??