Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Wind noise with sunroof open

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM

Wind noise with sunroof open

When I first got my car, I noticed a lot of wind noise with the sunroof open. Upon further investigation, I found the cause to be the factory deflector! I wanted to remove it, but that's impossible without drilling/breaking something. My simple solution was to jam a ball point pen between the roof and the deflector. It prevents the deflector from popping up when you open the roof and doesn't alter or damage anything. It's a little hokey, but it works and you can't see it at all.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Does the wind blowing right on top of your head bother you?
I've found that if I push/pull the deflector down, the wind can be annoying (at higher speeds).
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

You need to take care of not using it, Hte deflector is there for a reason. It keeps the air out of the car and it also helps protect the roof liner.

Air can get in and do damage to the interior if your not careful.

They make plastic sunroof deflectors that stick to the roof that will help remove the noise. They just stick on with 3M tape.

I was never a fan of the way they look but they do work to remove noise and air.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kinison_fan
Does the wind blowing right on top of your head bother you?
I've found that if I push/pull the deflector down, the wind can be annoying (at higher speeds).
I should have mentioned that I also crack the rear windows when I open the roof. That makes the wind go up and out the top keeping the buffeting and the debris away :-)
Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 PM

If you restrict the height to about half of normal, it reduces noise but still keeps the air off the interior, using a tie strap ( zip tie,wire tye ) it allows the screen to open and close normally but only pop up about half way.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Hyperv6,
You are right about the plastic wind deflector. I put one on HHRvey 3 years ago, and it took care of the noise. My deflector came from the AVS company, and has a sleek, sporty, look to it. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will do it. However, I will have to wait until the sun comes out so the picture will show up. It is very rainy here this morning.

When I bought HHRvey back in '06, I was also told by the dealer to crack the rear windows about a 1/2 inch when riding with the sunroof open. I have been doing this ever since and it really does help with the wind noise as well.

PS Can someone tell me how to upload pictures? I am not tech-saavy and I searched the site, but the only thing I could find about pictures was in the gallery. I wanted to know how to show a picture in my posts. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by HHRvey; 06-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
If you restrict the height to about half of normal, it reduces noise but still keeps the air off the interior, using a tie strap ( zip tie,wire tye ) it allows the screen to open and close normally but only pop up about half way.
Excellent idea! I've pulled it down by hand and noticed a dramatic reduction in noise, but couldn't think of a way to prevent it from going up all the way.

I know the plastic deflectors work well. But personally, I think they look hideous. They not only spoil the lines of a car, they always somehow seem to cheapen it.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM

I don't have any Wind noise as Metalica removes all noise. LOL!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 PM

I just shut mine if I'm consistently above 40mph such as on the interstate. It's nice to have open around town where the speeds are slower anyway.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 AM

I just crank up the stereo to FFB and viola! no wind noise.

Quick Reply: Wind noise with sunroof open