Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Window issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will open up the doors and see what might be the issue. Seems like it's probably not the switches.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:03 PM

Welp, tried to raise the passenger rear window, hear a crack like broken glass, hit down, same crack, wouldn't move. Got hope and worked the window up a little at a time and taped it up so it won't fall. Have some exploratory surgery exploratory to do I guess.

Then this afternoon in wifey's HHR, couldn't raise the paasenger front window from driverxstation, she says, "oh, yeah, it does that a lot." Reminded her she's supposed to report these things. Asked her to try the switch on the passenger door and it works fine. Already cleaned up the drive window pod once, will be replacing it.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:26 PM

I am the thread starter. I could not log in with my user name and password although I double and triple checked both. It's the same info I've logged in with for some time so I don't know what happened. I tried resetting my password but that wouldn't work so I contacted administration but the links provided would not work either. I had to register again to get back in. I might not be so lucky with the new log in so I may not be able to reply.

As far as my window issues I made the mistake of lowering one of the windows slightly to see if it might work but of course it would not go back up. I took off the door panel and tried to raise the window pushing up under the regulator but i couldn't budge it. The vertical track that it runs on looked clean and like new. There was only a little rust on the brace where the screws hold the door arm. The felt tracks looked good too.

With the key on accessory I tried the the main and door switches again but nothing. I removed the plug from the socket to see if it was rusty or dirty but it wasn't. So I put the door back together and then started the engine. The window went up as it should. What might the problem be? Maybe the motor is weak and needs more power with the engine on to work?
Old 05-13-2023, 09:23 PM

Maybe the key was in the accessory position, instead of the on position? Then when you started the engine, the window worked, because the key was on.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:13 PM

Did you test the battery?
Old 05-14-2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Maybe the key was in the accessory position, instead of the on position? Then when you started the engine, the window worked, because the key was on.
I think it was on accessory. Wouldn't the dash lights be on if it was in the on position with the engine off? The dash lights were off. I am pretty sure it's always worked in the accessory position too.

When I first noticed the window problem the engine was off with the key removed as the windows still work briefly after shut down. I didn't think to restart and try again.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you test the battery?
No I didn't but I will. The battery is less than a year old and turns the engine over easily.

Old 05-14-2023, 05:29 PM

You are correct, owner manual says power windows should work in acc or on.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Welp, tried to raise the passenger rear window, hear a crack like broken glass, hit down, same crack, wouldn't move.
So today I took the RR motor/regulator assembly out. The top plastic cable guide was broken.

To the OP and anyone else who references this thread in the future, once you've eliminated window switch/wire issues, don't hestate to just dive in and yank the regulator. It's not that hard, and it's really difficult to see what's wrong with it installed.

I haven't looked into this too much yet but it seems I can buy a "regulator" which I guess is what they call the contraption that the motor drives, without the motor, which seems to be fine.

When I opened up the door, I discovered that the foam had been off before, leading me to wonder if the regulator has already been replaced once.

Seems there are several brands to purchase. I want this repaire to last.

Thoughts?

Here's what I pulled out:

It SHOULD look like this:

Old 05-30-2023, 08:54 PM

Did try to re insert the piece of nylon? I can't tell if it is broken, just disconnected.
It is indeed called a regulator. I don't know how much you would save without the motor.

Quick Reply: Window issues