Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 AM

The windshield was replaced yesterday with a tinted version (I was out of town for the past two weeks). I took a bunch of photos while Safelite technician did the replacement in my driveway. I find it amazing that how "easy" the job is when you have the right tools and the skill for doing the replacement. The bill to the insurance company was $500 for the windshield.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 AM

don t slam the doors... you hear actually the last time that i had a window replaced they said that the adhesives that they use today are very very fast curing... no pins and needles for three days anymore... that s why alot windows woulld leak.. people would forget and slam their doors... pop
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM

The rear view mirror fell off the windshield today. I got the kit to re glue the metal plate to the glass, let it dry then rehang the mirror. I really missed that mirror as I was driving around.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM

I went out to my car this morning and boom. A crack was there that wasn't the day before. Anyone ever see that? O.o
Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Yes.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yup - a window replacement shop will likely be able to tell you why it cracked.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 PM

When we got our '06 a few years ago it had a very small little crack in the windshield near where the mirror glues on. It was really hard to see, you had to have good sunlight at just the right angle to even see it.

I pointed it out to the dealer and he said if it traveled across the windshield in six months time they would replace it.

For the next few years I'd wait for just the right sun angle and look for it and it was always just there not doing anything just sitting there glimmering in the sun when everything was just right to see it.

Then last summer when I was taking my wife down to see her sister in Tennessee it started to travel. By Indianapolis it was all the way to the corner on her side and started down her side. As we continued south so did the crack. When we turned to go across the top of Kentucky the crack started across the bottom of the glass. When we got to her sisters it had made it about half way to my side.

Then it stopped. I called the insurance man and he said to go ahead and get a new one. So I called the nearest Safelight store in Chattanooga and they didn't have one in stock. So I explained how I was just down visiting and would be going back to Illinois in a few days so they arranged for me to get the window closer to home in Dubuque.

When I used to have my shop I used piano wire to cut the glue that held the windshield in. It worked much better than anything else I could find. There were windshield removal tools out there but most of the were real expensive and didn't work worth a hoot. Still it was a bear unless I could find someone else at least as strong as I was to help me out.

The new adhesives don't seem to go on nearly as thick as the old window glue rope from when I was doing it.