Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield Glass Imperfection

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:34 AM

Windshield Glass Imperfection

I have seen comments by HHR owners about how seemingly easy it is for the windshield to pick up tiny chips. Some argue that the aerodynamics of the HHR design actually guide hard particles to the windshield, thereby increasing the probability of damage. Others argue that, since this is inevitable regardless of design, the windshield is of substandard quality. There was a tiny chip in my HHR's windshield right after the drive home from the dealer on the day I picked it up. (It had 100 miles on it when I picked it up because the dealer had to retrieve it from another dealer in another state - but I digress...)

I have owned my HHR for almost 3 months now. I don't drive it much - it only has 1100 miles on the odometer. The first time I drove it in the rain at night, I noticed a peculiar "squiggle" in the reflected light in the trail left by the windshield wipers. I thought that it was caused by residual streaks on the inner surface of the windshield. No biggie...I will just do a better job of cleaning the windows in the future.

While I was cleaning the windshield a few days ago, I noticed that there is actually a very slight trough in the windshield that corresponds to where I noticed the "squiggle" in the reflected light. It is very slight, and it is also very low. It does not interfere in any way with my ability to safely drive the vehicle.

I guess it's just one of those strange anomalies that occur at random. Does anyone think that it is worth mentioning to the dealer? Maybe imperfections in glass are more prevalent and predictable than one would suspect and there are acceptable levels, below which one cannot demand replacement...

WR
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 AM

I would have the dealer replace it. I am a retired GM tech and I have seen bad windshields replaced. Seeing that you can feel a trough in the glass it should not be a hard to have them replace it
Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 AM

I several of those troughs in my windshield and side windows.

The ones I have look almost like slices in a plastic coating. In a light rain and stationary, I will actually get horizontal rain buildup across that part of the windshield.