Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield looks like it was sand plasted

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:52 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by GeeMac
Windshield World in our area will not replace the HHR glass with another from the same company. They told me the glass was cheap and that they recommend PPG, which makes a better quality windshield. Also, the PPG replacement comes with a nice tint strip across the top, which the stock glass (at least in the '06 models) did not have.
Captain Howdy had the windshield replaced with the PPG.

Name:  Picture239.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  35.9 KB
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by ncampbell21
I have had my HHR since May 06. My windshield doesn't have any chips in it, but when the late afternoon sun hits it the windshield looks like it was sand plasted. I have a 01 Tahoe and the windshield in the Tahoe looks better then my HHR. I went to the dealer to complain and they refered it to the district rep. I told them about soft glass and the rep said that the front windshield on the HHR's has an anti glare coating over it and that is what is all pitted. They also offered to replace my windshield at no charge under the warranty. I should have asked the rep if it was a anti glare coating why didn't they put it on the inside of the glass instead of the outside. Has anyone else heard this story?
I had a paint protection put on my 07 HHR when i got it back and it was in the sun I noticed scratches on my front windshield in a rotating motion. I called up my dealer and they said to bring it in and they'll look at it. My work hours change so it's hard to get a right time to take it in. I wouldn't mind if they were to replace the front windshield. I also noticed my rear windshield was the same way.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackie
I had a paint protection put on my 07 HHR

Whenever a stealership offers you "paint protection", calmly stand up, walk away, and never darken their door again. It's a scam.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM

These windshields chip like a china plate in a cloths dryer full of ball bearings. Every rock that had so much as looked sideways at ours has left its mark. Never seen such from any vehicle we've ever owned before this one.

Last edited by poeg; 04-26-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Add another one. A Ford Focus kicked up a small one that has me looking right at another chip.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by poeg
These windshields chip like a china plate in a cloths dryer full of ball bearings. Every rock that had so much as looked sideways at ours has left its mark. Never seen such from any vehicle we've ever owned before this one.
You are right about that. I opted for the paint & fabric protection (I think they just wax it. A few weeks after I took delivery, I got some coupons in the mail to have the protection reapplied each year. However, the facility is about an hour from where I live. (the dealership is ½ a mile away)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Beaux66
I opted for the paint & fabric protection
Silicone wax and a can a scotch guard.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

For those HHR owners that complained about the windshield with abrasions/scratches and cannot tolerate the glare caused by them.....

Just remembered this from trying it in a "special situation" several years ago. A special type of polish is sold that will buff the mild to moderate abrasions out of glass. I personally used it to remove scratches on some antique crystal vases, etc. But I learned of it from some technicians who used it on a one of a kind windshield.

Requires a little work. But the results are excellent, for a $10-$15 item.

I think that JC Whitney, might even sell it.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by poeg
Add another one.
Yesterday, while doing 75 on the highway, a rock (BOULDER!!, from the sound of it) hit right in the middle of the windshield. Thought for sure my windshield was a goner. Now, I have 3 nice, new chips located smack dab in the middle.

I'm not going to say the windshield was too soft this time, thought for sure that it had at least put a gouge in it. Sounds like it really held up this time.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
For those HHR owners that complained about the windshield with abrasions/scratches and cannot tolerate the glare caused by them.....

Just remembered this from trying it in a "special situation" several years ago. A special type of polish is sold that will buff the mild to moderate abrasions out of glass. I personally used it to remove scratches on some antique crystal vases, etc. But I learned of it from some technicians who used it on a one of a kind windshield.

Requires a little work. But the results are excellent, for a $10-$15 item.

I think that JC Whitney, might even sell it.
We used a product called MicroPlex to help with abrasions in our display cases in the museum.

Quick Reply: Windshield looks like it was sand plasted