Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield replacement costs? I getting quotes from $710 to $217, What up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Windshield replacement costs? I getting quotes from $710 to $217, What up with that?

Well the temp 30-day tags have yet to expire, and it seem that something has hit the windshield very near the center about 3 inches from the top edge, I see about 3 small chips and whatever caused that appears to have started the crack.

While my Wife was driving our new HHR she noticed that a crack has started, from the top edge down about 4 inches and then about 8 inches long going towards the passenger’s side of the car. Needless to say I will have to have the windshield replaced.

Has anyone else had to have their windshield replaced and if so how much did it cost you?

I started calling a few places, in my area - that were opened around 6 PM this evening - and geezees the prices run the board. For example I got a quote of $217.38 including taxes to replace the windshield to $710 including taxes, oh they asked what my insurance deductable was and I told them $500 and they told me that they would give me 20% off my deductable if I went with them, so basically $400 for me and $210 for my insurance company (what a deal). Other quotes were $425 with a 1 year warranty even against breakage and cracks and $265.

I'll continue to call around but I thought this was a little odd to have found such a wide range in prices.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I live in Northern VA if anyone knows of a good place in my area please let me know
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM

mine was replaced and i wanna say somewhere around 250 was where it was at
Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM

I would call your insurance co. and ask. Most have no deductible on windshields. Also the big price swing is some are cheap and others are better glass. your insurance co. will push for the cheap glass. Tell them you want a PPG windshield. Windshields are covered under your comp. part of your insurance policy Here in FL.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Well, I was gonna say the same thing about the no charge. I thought my policy had no deductible since I remember getting mine fixed for free a while back. But I looked it up (Progressive) and only windshield repairs are no charge. Replacements use the full deductible for your comprehensive. Although, they do state filing a glass claim will not count against you for your rates. Joy.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Founding Member

At one time I was letting a glass company have one of their employees stationed on the service drive where the work orders are written by the service advisors. They would fix every debris chip in windshields for no charge to the customer and only ask for their insurance information.

They would bill the insurance for the repairs and the owner of the company told me they would get paid on 90% of the claims with no ill effect to the customers insurance rates. Most major companies have this in their policies.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 AM

Definatley contact your insurance. But rules under what you pay varies from state to state. When I lived in South Carolina, as long as had full coverage, glass was free replacement. Moved to GA and your deductable covers it. I've got one hit on mine and was repaired over a year ago. So far, it's help up nicely.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 AM

I had the the windshield replaced, paid for by insurance. The bill was $500. Safelite came to my house and did the replacement in the driveway.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM

Mine was replaced here in CT for 685. Luckily my glass deductable is 0.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
At one time I was letting a glass company have one of their employees stationed on the service drive where the work orders are written by the service advisors. They would fix every debris chip in windshields for no charge to the customer and only ask for their insurance information.

They would bill the insurance for the repairs and the owner of the company told me they would get paid on 90% of the claims with no ill effect to the customers insurance rates. Most major companies have this in their policies.
Brad, the repair only works on chips, not once the crack starts.
It's a good deal if you only have the bullseye, and it's not in you direct line of sight. As there is slight distortion.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Brad, the repair only works on chips, not once the crack starts.
It's a good deal if you only have the bullseye, and it's not in you direct line of sight. As there is slight distortion.
Correct! Once a chip cracks, replacement is the only fix.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement costs? I getting quotes from $710 to $217, What up with that?