Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Yet another stereo replacement issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Yet another stereo replacement issue.

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here...

My stock CD player has recently quit on me. It would still power on, but would not read any discs.... I was still able to use my Zune through the Aux port, but it got old quick. I decided I needed a new head unit and found a Cheap Alpine cde-100 and snagged it. In addition to this, I ordered a Dash kit that came with two wiring harnesses that apparently fit to the stock radio plugs.

I have installed a few CD players in my day and wired everything up. I took the plug that cme with the Alpine head unit, plugged it into the back, then matched up every color to the wiring harness that came with the Dash Kit.

I then followed the stereo removal guide (Which worked great)... Once I had everything installed, This is what happens....

I get NO power to the head unit, and none of my guages work. It's almost as if the car doesn't realize that I have my key in it (Like when I remote Start it).

Whats even weirder is the car will let me drive it like normal, but none of the guages work, and my Turn signals don't work at all....

My question is, do I NEED to buy that 100$ wiring adapter (Gmos Lan-03) or did I simply wire something wrong?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Deceased

I'd say you'll be needing the wiring adapter. These new vehicles with their multiplexed wiring seem to be ultra picky when modified electrically. Even though you copied things carefully I think the BCM isn't recognizing the head unit and that's causing the issues. Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM

I've been where you are with my '08 HHR and with the '04 Avalanche I traded in on the HHR. There is only one "sure-fire" remedy to the problem, and that is to fork over the bucks for the adapter. The stock radio has been devilishly engineered to act as part of the whole "body control" set-up. If you look inside the Lan-o3 or Lan 04, you'll see that there is a circuit board amidst your stereo wires. With it, your door chimes will work, the turn signals will operate, and most all will be well. Just another example of the massive conspiracy to eliminate aftermarket equipment. Before you know it, the speakers will be "wireless" or some such ****, and it will cost even more to have a decent sound system. Just MHO of course!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Deceased

Not a conspiracy, but just a way the manufacturers are trying to cut down on wiring. The side effect is that aftermarket mods and additions become a bit of a pain.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 AM

I vote conspiracy.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM
MB1

Originally Posted by 843de
Not a conspiracy, but just a way the manufacturers are trying to cut down on wiring. The side effect is that aftermarket mods and additions become a bit of a pain.
Cut down on wiring?
A good old car stereo only needed power, ground and speaker wires and didn't effect the rest of the car.
There is more spaghetti involved with the "integrated" stereos.
I vote conspiracy, there was no need to link the stereo they way they did.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

I have entertained the thought of installing one of those 7" touch screen everything cause I'm not impressed with the onstar navigation I use mine multiple times a day one of my largest challenges is finding my clients they are hiding in their residences. But so many things run through the stereo, even my phone I'm hesitant to do it I just plugged in an ugly wire to my Garmin.